During summer, we adopt various measures to stay cool. Wearing light clothes, staying indoors help a lot to beat the heat. Having buttermilk is one such effective method.
By Ashwin Dewan
Ramesh Arvind, a resident of Chennai, is trying numerous ways to beat the intense summer heat. This includes staying indoors as much as possible, especially during noon when the sun is at its peak, taking bath twice daily, and wearing clothes made of cotton. In spite of taking these measures, he falls ill one day. So, what could have been the reason?
The following day, he visits the doctor who reveals that his diet is the culprit. The doctor advises him to incorporate buttermilk in his diet as it is a proven cooler.
Summer is here and how! The sweltering heat has children and adults staying indoors and adopting various measures to stay cool. In most cases, having a cool glass of buttermilk helps. And, it is healthy too.
Drinking buttermilk is one of the best ways to cool yourself down on a hot and sultry summer day. But, if you think that buttermilk is just about cooling down, then you are mistaken. For, along with the cooling properties, buttermilk offers several health benefits.
Known by different names – chaas, chaach, mattha, etc, buttermilk is miracle summer drink indeed. This curd and water-based drink often blended with chosen spices such as black salt, asafoetida, jeera powder is truly refreshing.
1) Cools down body temperature: The primary and most beneficial property of drinking buttermilk is that it cools down the body temperature during the hot season. Drinking buttermilk can prove beneficial for women suffering from hot flushes that mostly occur during menopause. In fact, not just women, men can avail the benefits of buttermilk. Men who have a high metabolic rate and body temperature can drink buttermilk to cool down.
Buttermilk also provides essential probiotic vitamins and minerals that get depleted due to the intense summer heat.
2) Aids digestion: We all know that buttermilk is a curd-based drink and that curd is naturally loaded with probiotics. This increases the growth of healthy gut in the body. Further, the spices added in buttermilk prevent indigestion and cause burping which helps in soothing your digestive tract.
Buttermilk also acts as an effective cooling agent in certain gastrointestinal disorders like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Crohn’s disease (a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that causes severe pain, fatigue, diarrhea, and weight loss).
3) Helps wash down oily food: During the hot season, consuming oily foods can cause discomfort. A glass of buttermilk can make you feel much better. The ginger, cumin powder, coriander and other spices wash down the oils and fats, which can line the inner walls of the food pipe and stomach leading to ulcers and other digestive problems. Also, these spices help expel gas from the stomach. Drinking a glass of buttermilk after a heavy meal will help one feel much better.
4) Storehouse of nutrients: Buttermilk provides several health benefits as it is loaded with nutrients. It contains calcium and protein, which supports cell communication and the contraction of muscles. Calcium also helps prevent bone disorders such as osteoporosis. Apart from Calcium, buttermilk is a rich source of proteins, vitamin B, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and potassium. All these nutrients are essential for an active and healthy lifestyle.
A glass of buttermilk is also a rich source of lactic acid that helps fight harmful pathogens and bacteria. This provides a boost to the immune system.
5) Helps in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure:
Regular consumption of buttermilk can help lower cholesterol and control blood pressure. Buttermilk contains significant amounts of bio-active protein, which lower the cholesterol level and help lower the blood pressure. It inhibits the absorption of cholesterol by the intestines.
Other benefits: Apart from the above-mentioned health benefits, buttermilk also prevents yeast infections, rejuvenates sun-damaged skin, eases constipation and helps lose weight.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3 people
How to make:
Note: Instead of adding ice cubes to the blender, you can add ice cubes in the end.
Hope you liked this article. To get expert tips and read interesting articles on a wide variety of parenting topics, Subscribe Now to our magazine.
Summer is here. This is a season for tasty fruits, picnics, school vacations and fun-filled days. But, it is also the season when diseases come knocking at our doors. Read the below article to know more.
With their immense health benefits, probiotics are not merely a trend or a fad, but a healthy sup...
Did you know that curd or yogurt is a storehouse of good bacteria? This article tells you exactly...
Shiny Lizia M
Are you fatigued all the time? Have you noticed your skin has become pale and dull? Before you su...