Children’s Fashion: Trends To Look Out For In 2019
Folksy and ethnic with a modern twist, clothing inspired by Mother Nature and some serious influence from fashionable celebrity kids — here is what’s trending in children’s fashion this year!
By Sahana Charan
"Playing dress-up begins at age five and never truly ends." — Kate Spade, American fashion designer
As children, most of us loved sauntering about in outlandish clothes and dressing up for special occasions. While it all seemed a lot of fun back then, childrenswear is serious business these days. Kid's fashion scene is huge these days with options to choose from.
Parents are always on the lookout for trendy garments of good quality so that their little ones are always at their fashionable best! Meanwhile, retailers are constantly striving to showcase the latest in children’s clothing, footwear and accessories, given how discerning their customers are today.
So, what is it that little tykes and fashionistas can look forward to wearing in 2019? We give you a lowdown on what is in vogue this year:
- Gender-neutral fashion: Do not want to limit your child’s choices? Then make a conscious effort to avoid stereotypes while dressing her up. There has been a gradual shift towards gender-neutral fashion for children, with both conscientious parents and designers ditching the typical ‘pink and delicate for girls, and blue and brainy for boys’ approach.
- Sports-inspired style: In 2019, you will notice kids’ apparel and accessories that explore sports-inspired styles for both boys and girls; dinosaur and automobile prints for girls; delicate colours and prints for boys; science and math motifs for girls; and embroidery and crochet for both boys and girls.
- Tribal and folk style: This year, many designers are drawing inspiration from folk traditions, using their own interpretations for a modern twist. The influence can come from all over the world — think African, Aztec, Native American and the Indian tribal communities. So, beads, feathers, pom poms, intricate thread work, tribal-influenced floral embroidery and geometric patterns are going to be hot in children’s fashion.
- Metallic tones: While gold and silver-toned clothing and shoes are the rage these days, pretty colours with a metallic sheen are trending in children’s fashion too. Shiny biker jackets in pink and mauve, sparkly sandals, gold buckles on dresses and pants, and silver or rose-gold bags and backpacks, are bound to make your little one sparkle!
- Nature-inspired fashion: Think your little fashionista will look gorgeous in a leopard-print dress? Or want to pick up that t-shirt made of organic cotton for your little boy? Well, the fashion pundits will nod their heads in approval. Around the world, with increasing awareness about our deteriorating environment and the urgent need for conservation, this sentiment is percolating to the fashion scene as well. So, designers are moving towards natural and organic fabrics. In 2019, the focus is on using environment-friendly fabrics such as organic cotton, khadi, organic wool, jute and fabric made with bamboo for children’s apparel and accessories. In terms of prints and patterns, flowers, foliage and earthly colours are popular.
- Denim: Denim can never go out of style for anyone, be it children or adults. It is timeless and always fashionable. All over the world fashionistas are obsessed with denim wear. Today, when it comes to your mini-me, denim is not restricted to just jackets and jeans, but also cute denim shoes, comfortable dresses and even, denim earrings!
Celebrity children who are a major fashion influence:
Celebrity kids are mini style-icons and on fleek almost all the time — giving major fashion goals to all the mini divas and heartthrobs out there. So, let's draw some inspiration from these little trendsetters who are rocking the kiddie fashion scene. But who are the celeb kids to keenly watch out for? Here are a few:
- Taimur Ali Khan (Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor’s son)
- Aradhya Bachchan (Aishwarya and Abhishek Bachchan’s daughter)
- Misha Kapoor (Shahid and Mira Kapoor’s daughter)
- North West (Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s daughter)
- Prince George (Prince William and Kate Middleton’s eldest son)
Tips to dress up your child for different occasions:
When it comes to children, no matter how trendy the dress is, it should be comfortable for them and appropriate for the occasion. A light summer frock on a winter morning is sure to make your daughter freeze. And a heavy layered party dress may not be the right choice for a beach outing. Dressing them according to the season and occasion puts the child at ease while still being in style.
Beach: Comfort is key, so dress your child in light, airy and comfortable clothes in pastel hues and breathable fabrics like linen and cotton.
Colourful onesies for toddlers; shorts and sundresses in playful prints for girls; and shorts in animal and cartoon prints for boys are the trend. Don’t forget those funky neon-coloured slippers and caps!
Casual: Take a leaf out of little North West’s fashion book and dress your little one in funky tights and slacks paired with cute tops and matching caps. When the weather is chill, throw a pastel-shaded knit coat over her shoulder for a casual chic look.
Boys can wear gingham prints, t-shirts with sailboat or crown motifs, and light cotton shorts or pants. Canvas shoes and backpacks in modern prints are also popular for children.
Party: Detailing such as ruffles, buckles, lace, laser-cut fabrics and shiny accessories are the rage this year and apt for party time. Get your little one ready for party fun, with gold and silver-coloured shoes, flouncy dresses, embroidered denim and tailored pants.
Weddings: In India, festive occasions and weddings call for heavy ethnic pieces and lots of bling. But for children, keeping it comfortable yet trendy, is important. Cotton kurtas with sleeveless jackets in rustic, earthy tones and bandhgalas will make the boys look fetching this wedding season. Girls can go for lehengas in flowy materials with one-shouldered or cold-shouldered tops. Ready-to-wear dhotis and sarees for children also look incredibly cute. Pair these with colourful jhootis.
Here are some more patterns, materials and styles that are set to trend in 2019:
- Biker-inspired clothing and accessories.
- Abstract prints and patterns influenced by technology and gadgets.
- Unusual colour combinations such as rust and pink, mauve and orange, mint and yellow.
- Geometric and jacquard patterns.
- Nylon and georgette material.
Whatever the trend, keeping things simple and not overdoing it is important. You must keep in mind that your child should be comfortable and feel free when it comes to clothing. After all, the style or look should reflect your child’s unique personality. Happy dressing up!
About the author:
Written by Sahana Charan on 17 January 2019.
More For You
More for you
Learning Apps And Videos For Toddlers
Want to combine fun and learning for your todddler? Educational apps can come to the rescue. Here...
Nature-Themed Fancy Dress Costume Ideas Fo...
Nature-based fancy dress ideas can help sensitise your child about preserving the environment. Tr...
7 Concepts From Japanese Philosophy You Ca...
The beautiful culture and way of life practised by the Japanese are inspiring to people all over ...