How do you teach kids without giving them punishments?
Answered by Team ParentCircle
We need to prepare our children to face a future that does not exist today. We need to nurture joy for learning. So, our goal must be to inculcate a love of learning in our children. If the child begins to associate learning with punishment, she will not enjoy learning. Punishments can make a child fearful. Constant fear leads to chronic stress that releases the cortisol chemical in the brain. This can have long-term effects on memory and learning. So, we need to create an environment that is free of fear and one that fosters the joy of learning. How can you do that? Here are some tips:
- Read a lot to your child. Share in the joy of reading.
- If your child has to do homework regularly, together with your child make a daily schedule for studying.
- Create a special, comfortable space at home for your child to do homework, filled with all the necessary pencils, papers, erasers, colors, etc. Make sure she sits in the same place every day.
- Play a short fun game to relax her mind just before she sits to do her work.
- Avoid doing your child’s homework or project. Instead, support her by asking guiding questions - what she needs to do for homework, how she plans to do it, which areas she finds challenging and how she plans to handle it, are there any areas she needs additional help on. Fill in only where necessary.
- If she misses doing her homework, let her face the consequences with her teacher. She may not do well in her test if she did not prepare well for it. One poor test result will not hurt her. But, she will learn quickly that when she doesn't do her work she will have to face consequences she may not like. She will soon learn to be more responsible with her work.
- Supplement school work with fun learning tools and experiments. Watch learning videos together, do experiments, go outside and explore, visit museums, do hands-on crafts, and more… Learn together and grow together
This answer is helpful for 0 parents
The expert will answer your question soon.