Bored of the same old breakfast dishes? Try these delicious kid-friendly bread recipes instead
Chef Vikas Dobhal 4 Mins Read
Written For ParentCircle Website new design update
Tired of the same old bread-butter-jam sandwich for breakfast? Check out these delicious bread recipes which you can rustle up in a jiffy at home and kick start your mornings on a happy note as your kids dig into these!
It is a well-known fact that the most important meal of the day is breakfast. A healthy breakfast is particularly important for growing children. But getting kids to eat breakfast is an ordeal for most parents. Couple that with the morning rush of reaching school and office on time, breakfasts are left unfinished and kids lose out on vital nutrients to kick start their day.
Bread-based food makes a great snack idea for kids and easy for parents to rustle up. Especially, when they come home after school, famished.
So, leave aside the usual bread and butter sandwich or the bread and eggs toast, and try these healthy and yummy bread recipes for kids. These are surprisingly different and delicious too!
1. Buffalo margarita
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 cups buckwheat (kuttu) flour
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce or 2 tbsp pizza pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup of bocconcini cheese (If you don't get it, substitute it with fresh cheddar cheese)
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato sliced
- 5-6 basil or tulsi leaves
- Knead the buckwheat flour or kuttu atta with a little water to make a soft dough. Keep it aside for five minutes
- Roll out the dough into a thin circle in the shape of the pizza
- Spread some tomato sauce on the dough
- Add the shredded mozzarella and bocconcini cheese to it
- Add the diced tomatoes
- Add some 5-6 basil leaves and bake the bread in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10-12 minutes.
2. Grilled black slider
|Ingredients (serves 2)|
- 2 multigrain burger bun
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup boiled black beans
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tomato
- A few leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 2 tbsp of peri-peri mayonnaise
- A few sweet potato or potato fries for decoration
- Cut the multigrain burger bun horizontally into two pieces
- Mix the boiled black beans, cheese and bread crumbs in a bowl. Make it in a patty shape
- Shallow fry the patty in a pan
- Now, take the bun, and spread the peri-peri mayo on both the side
- Cut the tomato into slices and place them on one side of the bun
- Place the patty above the tomato slices
- Spread some mayo on the patty and cover it with the other half of the bun
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C for 12-15 minutes
- The dish is ready. Serve it with sweet potato fries.
3. Spinach cheese toast
|Ingredients (serves 2)|
- 1 small 6-inch French loaf
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 100g spinach
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 sprig of lettuce leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp salsa sauce or tomato ketchup
- Take a small French loaf and cut at a slight angle into five equal pieces and bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C, for 30 seconds.
- Make a mixture of mozzarella and feta cheese and spread it on the bread pieces.
- Cut the spinach finely and add it to a non-stick pan with olive oil and cook till soft.
- Add finely chopped bell peppers to it and cook for a minute.
- Take the pieces of bread already spread with the cheese mix and layer the spinach and bell pepper mix to it.
- Put a little bit of shredded mozzarella cheese on it and bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C for one minute.
- Garnish with lettuce leaves and cherry tomatoes and serve with salsa sauce or tomato ketchup.
4. Chilli cheese toast
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 slices of multigrain bread
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 green chili, finely cut (you can skip this step if your child does not eat chilis)
- 1/2 cup diced capsicum
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup
- Spread an even layer of butter on one side of the bread
- In a bowl, mix the diced onion, chili, and diced capsicum
- Place this mixture on top of the buttered bread
- Divide the grated cheese into four equal parts and place a generous amount on top of the bread
- Put these slices of bread on a baking tray and pop it into the grill for five minutes until the cheese melts and bubbles
- Let the bread slices cool a little. Serve to your little one with ketchup on the side.
So, the next time your little one reaches out for the nearest packet of noodles or pasta, treat her to one of these yummy bread recipes. Not only are the above recipes delicious but they are packed with nutrients too. Thus, making them an ideal way to start the day for your children. Or serve these as snacks anytime.