5 Festive DIY Christmas Tree Decorations you can Make with Kids
What’s Yuletide without carol singing, bright lights and blingy ornaments to hang on the Christmas tree? With our super ideas and some creativity, you can make these decorations with children at home
By Nabeela Mahboob • 7 min read
“The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other” － Burton Hillis
It’s a season filled with songs, glitters, treats and lots of decorations. And a time for all members of the family to get together from near and far, and bond with each other. With guests visiting us and sharing gifts with family and friends, Christmas sets the mood for joy and celebration.
Getting the Christmas tree ready is a fun task that we look forward to but in the hustle and bustle of our lives, we often opt for readymade décor instead of giving a personalised touch to our houses. Here are some sparkling Do-It-Yourself (DIY) ideas you can make with your children to beautify your lovely tree:
These rustic looking stars bring a homely and congenial atmosphere into the house
- 6 Twigs of similar length
- Thermocol balls (optional)
- Quick drying adhesive or glue gun
- Jute cord/shiny string
- Assemble three twigs and glue them to form a triangle. Do the same with the other three. Overlap the two triangles to form a star.
- Tie the ends with a twine to secure it in place. Tie the overlapped twigs together.
- You can add thermocol balls for a snowy effect or glitter on the twigs. Customise it according to your choice.
- Attach the jute cord (or any string) to the top of the star to use it as a dangler
Glittery Light Bulbs
These are easy to make using any used light bulb you may have at home, this beautiful ornament will add sparkle to your tree
- Any plain used light bulbs
- Sparkles/glitter powder in colours of your choice (golden, silver, red)
- A pair of scissors
- Craft glue/adhesive
- Gold ribbon
- Woollen string
1.Apply craft glue all over the glass bulb, leaving out the mount/support at the end.
2.Holding the support, sprinkle the glitter all over the bulb while revolving it
3.Make sure the whole glass bulb is coated. Let it dry.
4.Once dry, tie a string around the mount to hang. Then, create a festive bow with ribbon and fix it to the mount of the bulb.
5.Hang this sparkling decoration on the tree.
Pom-poms are decorative items easily available and are fun to use. They can be used on top of plain ornaments to make them look festive and cheerful.
- Round Christmas ball ornament (Any colour)
- Pom-poms (in Christmas colours - red, white, green)
- Liquid adhesive/glue gun
- Apply liquid adhesive, section by section on the ornament
- Stick all the colourful pom-poms on it carefully
- Let it dry. Your quick and easy ornament is ready.
Ice-Cream Stick danglers
These are easy to make at home and even small children can try them during the celebrations. Tree-shaped ornaments on the Christmas tree look bright and colourful.
- Ice-cream sticks
- Blings or buttons
- Liquid adhesive
- Paint in two colours
- Jute cord or twine
- Glitter paper/bright coloured paper
- Colour all ice-cream sticks based on your choice
- Cut five ice-cream sticks on the sides; one smaller than the other
- Place an uncut ice-cream stick vertically
- Glue the topmost portion of the vertical stick and place the smallest of the prepared stick on it
- Leave a little gap and put glue on the next portion. Place the slightly bigger stick and repeat the process to make a tree-like shape.
- Once this is dry, put small drops of glue at random areas over the sticks and place either buttons, pearls or tiny coloured stones.
- Use the glitter/coloured paper to draw a star. Cut it out and glue it to the top of the tree
- Add a jute cord/shiny string to use as a dangler.
Now this can bring back beautiful memories. Collect pictures of all the important occasions that had been spent during the year to make this fantastic dangler.
- Glitter sheet (Card stock)
- Liquid adhesive
- Family photograph cut to desired size
- Name tags (A piece of white paper cut in to strips to write the name or occasion)
- Stick the photo on to the glitter paper
- Cut the glitter paper leaving some space so it would like a frame
- Use the name tag to write about the picture
- 4.Use a twine or jute cord to make it look like a dangler
- 5.You can use other embellishments of your choice such as buttons or pom-poms on the frame to make it look more colourful.
All of these ideas are easy to make and would not take more than a couple of minutes. These would add a personal touch to the Christmas festivities and also be a good bonding exercise for the family.
More For You
More for you
DIY Christmas Décor You Can Do With Your Kids
Deck your home with DIY Christmas decorations, handmade by your child with love. From fake snow t...
Kerina De Floras • 8 min read
Festive Decoration Contest: Winners And To...
Diwali festivities are still fresh in your mind? We bring to you the 3 winners and our top entrie...
Team ParentCircle • 6 min read
Best Handmade Christmas Tree Decorations F...
Outshine shop-bought Christmas decorations with your own handmade DIY Christmas tree. Here are so...
Team ParentCircle • 6 min read