Easy Chocolate Recipes For Kids
Add some to a milkshake, whip it into a cake or drizzle fruits with it for a delectable treat — chocolate is extremely versatile. Don the apron and try these five yummy chocolate recipes for kids.
By Ashwin Dewan
Who does not like biting into a slab of creamy, rich chocolate every now and then? Described by the ancient Mayans as 'the food of the Gods,' chocolate is one food item that is on the list of favourites of all age groups. Famous for its versatility — you can have chocolate by itself, add it to milkshakes, use it as an ingredient in cakes, pour liquid chocolate on top of an ice-cream — chocolate can be enjoyed in various ways. Here, we cover five delicious chocolate recipes for kids that are easy to make.
And what’s more? In the article, Chocolate: Health Benefits, Facts, and Research, published on a medical website, writer Joseph Nordqvist discusses how despite the bad reputation that chocolate has for causing weight gain, it has many health benefits as well.
Benefits of eating chocolates:
- Improves your mood
- Maintains healthy cardiovascular system
- Makes children happy
- Reduces stress
- Cough relief
So, chocolate is not all about sugar, milk, butter, and cacao. It has a unique, rich, and sweet taste. Considered by many as the ultimate comfort food, let us look at five tasty chocolate recipes that you can make with your child. This will would surely be a great bonding exercise.
Note: The quantity of the ingredients may vary from one recipe to another. It depends on the cook and the number of persons the dish is being made for.
1. How to make Fudge-Walnut Brownies
Everyone loves the good old chocolate brownie. If you add fudge and walnut to the brownie, even better! Lower in fat than the traditional brownies, the intense rich taste from the cocoa, melted chocolate, and chunks of chocolate in this recipe is unbeatable.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 lightly beaten large eggs
- ½ cup chopped walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Weigh flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife.
- Combine flour and the cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, salt in a large bowl.
- Microwave at high for at least 1 minute, stirring after every 30 seconds.
- Stir in butter, vanilla, and eggs.
- Add the milk mixture, chocolate and nuts to flour mixture and combine.
- Pour the batter into a baking pan with cooking spray, sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 + minutes and check to see if it has cooked by inserting a wooden pick in the centre. The pick should come out with moist crumbs clinging.
- Cool the pan and cut the mixture into pieces.
2. How to make Chocolate Baklava
Baklava is a classic Mediterranean dessert that comprises of layered dough, nuts, and honey. When you put chocolate spread with a hint of butter to this dish, the result is simply delicious. This chocolate version of the Baklava contains creamy hazelnut-chocolate spread that adds rich flavour to this pastry.
- ½ cup water
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cup hazelnut-chocolate spread
- ½ cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- ½ cup chopped roasted pistachios
- ½ cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 24 (14 x 9-inch)sheets of frozen filo dough or ready-made samosa/pastry sheets
- ½ cup melted butter
- Combine honey, water, and cinnamon stick in a medium pan over low heat.
- Stir until the honey dissolves. Slowly increase the heat to medium and cook without stirring until a candy thermometer shows the temperature as 230 degrees.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and keep warm. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the spread in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave at high until it melts.
- Coat a ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. Work with one phyllo sheet at a time and drizzle melted hazelnut-chocolate spread over the phyllo. Sprinkle evenly with one-third of nut mixture and repeat the procedure twice.
- Make 3 length wise cuts and 5 crosswire cuts to form 17 portions using a sharp knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees until phyllo is golden. Remove from the oven and drizzle honey mixture over baklava.
3. How to make Chocolate Pudding
Chocolate pudding is the preferred choice of dessert for many people the world over, who swear by its rich texture and delicious taste. Although chocolate pudding found in restaurants and stores are good in terms of flavour and quantity, homemade chocolate pudding can taste equally delicious. This is an easy chocolate pudding recipe to make for your kids.
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Stir together the sugar, cocoa, corn starch, and salt in a saucepan and gradually stir in milk.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat stirring constantly until it boils. Remove from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into individual dessert dishes. Serve warm or refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
4. How to make Chocolate Chip Cookies
Children love cookies and chocolate chip cookies are the ultimate in cookies. Easy to make and made with simple, easily available ingredients – the chocolate chip cookies can be had with milk or by itself. The soft exterior of the cookie combines with the bits of chocolate to make for one delicious food item.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1 packet semisweet chocolate chips.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the sugar (both granulated and brown), butter, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff).
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto the ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture turns light brown. Cool slightly and remove from cookie sheet.
5. How to make Chocolate bread and butter pudding
This tasty chocolate recipe is a winner in the yummy dessert stakes. To make this pudding, slices of white bread are spread with chocolate hazelnut and soaked in delicious custard. The sweetness of the chocolate hazelnut gets dissolved in the custard giving this dish a wonderful taste.
- 9 slices good quality white bread
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 75 grams butter
- 425 ml whipping cream
- 110 gram castor sugar
- Good pinch cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a baking dish with butter. Spread 5-6 slices of bread with chocolate hazelnut spread and slice into 2 triangles.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, milk and cocoa together. Pour over the bread slices and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Place the baking dish in a larger baking dish and pour boiling water until it comes halfway up to the outside of your dish.
- Bake for an hour until the custard has set.
Cooking is an enjoyable pastime that creates lots of food-related memories. And, if the memory involves chocolate, it becomes that much sweeter. Know about even more recipes that involve chocolate by going through this ClipBook.
More For You
More for you
10 Easy And Yummy Mocktail And Smoothie Re...
Get ready to beat the heat this summer or cause a stir at your child's next birthday party, with ...
Chef Harish Rao
Buddha Bowls: Tasty And Healthy
A colourful food bowl bursting with proteins, vitamins and other vital nutrients is the new trend...
Shiny Lizia M
6 Healthy Drinks For Your Toddler This Summer
Summer brings with it endless days of hot and humid weather. The blazing rays of the sun pose a d...