We use colors to decorate, express our feelings, send out messages, and whatnot. Help your child learn colors to express himself in different ways.
Do bright colors attract your child? Does he have a favorite color? Does he want to play with toys of various colors? I'm sure your answer would be a 'yes' to these questions. Recognizing and identifying the various colors is an important step in your child's development.
But, as a parent of a toddler, have you ever wondered about the best way of teaching colors to toddlers?
Using fun ways to help your child learn colors will make the task easier for you and interesting for him. Here are a few simple and fun ways to teach colors to toddlers.
1. Play water and sand games: Your child loves playing messy games with colors, doesn't she? By mixing colors not only does she learn about colors but also develops her sensorimotor skills. Give her small bowls of water of different colors. Ask her to transfer the contents of one bowl into another. Alternatively, you can also prepare portions of sand of different colors by mixing each portion with one color. Then, you can ask your child to mix the different colored portions of sand.
2. Have mealtime fun: Dice fruits of different colors like an apple, an orange, a banana, and a pineapple. For snacks, give your child a few pieces of each fruit on a plate and a challenge as well. Ask him to sort the pieces of the same color and then finish his snack. Also, during mealtimes, ask him to name the colors of the different preparations.
3. Dress her up: Colourful outfits of their choice are the favorite of children. Tell your child to arrange her dresses according to their color in the closet. And, when it's time to change her dress, ask her to name the color of the dress she would like to wear. One of the best fun ways to teach colors to your child.
4. Take advantage of technology: Gadgets are now an inseparable part of our lives and there are several apps for introducing colors to toddlers. Some of the apps to teach colors to your kids are 'Learn Colors with Eggs', 'Learning Colors for Kids', and 'Kids Learn Colors'. However, when you give your child gadgets like smartphones and tablets, make sure that it is only for a short period of time. Else, there is a danger of your child spending excessive time on screens.
5. Go for a nature walk: Nature is full of colors, with different flowers blooming during different seasons. Go with your child to the park or a nearby garden where there are a variety of flowers. Encourage your child to smell the flowers and tell their color. And, while she is observing the flowers, you can tell her something about the flowers.
6. Make a color wheel: Take a polystyrene plate and divide its surface into triangles of equal area by drawing lines through the center. Now give your child some crayons and ask him to color each triangle with a different color. This is one of the most simple games to teach colors to children.
Colors are an inseparable part of our lives—from our clothes to traffic lights, they are everywhere. So, it is important for your child to learn about colors. And, who can teach colors the best way? Of course, it's you.
ParentCircle is a magazine that empowers parents to raise successful and happy children. SUBSCRIBE NOW