Jigsaw puzzles are considered useful for improving a child’s memory. Want to know more about their benefits for children? Read on.
By Parama Gupta
Children of all age groups love jigsaw puzzles. Even in these technology-driven times of computer and mobile games, these puzzles continue to be popular among children. Here are six reasons why you should consider getting jigsaw puzzles for your children:
1. Solving jigsaw puzzles is a great way to pass time. It is also a healthy source of entertainment for children. These puzzles are interesting and can hold children’s attention and keep them engaged for hours. While on the one hand it taxes the brain, on the other hand it also helps the mind relax by diverting attention from any stressful thoughts. Solving jigsaw puzzles also helps children to develop gross and fine motor skills, hand–eye coordination and shape recognition.
2. Jigsaw puzzles are cheap and reusable. So, children can play with them again and again. You can also step in and make the activity more interesting for your children. Set a time within which to solve the puzzle and challenge your children to try and do it within that time. This way, they will learn how to work to achieve their goals within time.
3. Puzzles also act as valuable educational tools. Jigsaw puzzles of maps, animals, numbers, etc., are a great way of arousing children’s interest in different subjects. They are also a great way of developing cognitive, visual-spatial, collaborative and social skills. Therefore, puzzles are great for educating children and helping them learn and gain confidence in a range of skills.
4. They help to develop problem-solving skills and boost logical reasoning. Solving a jigsaw puzzle is not easy for children. Most of the time they need to stop and think about how and where to fit the different pieces. Figuring this out requires children to apply critical thinking. And, every time they solve a puzzle, children also develop strategies to solve it faster the next time. Thus, they learn both to solve the problem and come up with newer strategies to do it in a better way the next time. So, solving jigsaw puzzles also helps to develop and hone critical problem-solving skills, strategic thinking and logical reasoning ability.
5. Solving puzzles improves concentration and memory. One of the strategies children adopt to solve puzzles is to remember and recall how the different pieces fit. This boosts their memory. It also helps them to improve their ability to focus for long hours, which is a great asset in every walk of life.
6. Children learn to work with patience by trying to solve puzzles. Solving a puzzle is a challenge, and overcoming any challenge requires time and patience. By learning to slowly work through the puzzle, children develop patience. They also learn to not give up and keep persevering until they reach their goal.
So, now that you know about the several benefits of jigsaw puzzles for children, why wait? Head out to the nearest store and gift your child a challenge that he will love to overcome.
Anxiety is an issue that plagues many children. Understand more about this problem and the ways t...
Wondering how to keep your energetic little one engaged after she comes back from school? Here ar...
Does your child show an aversion to history? Are you looking for ways to change your child’s atti...