Multimedia education today is in high demand because of the lucrative career opportunities it offers. Read on to know how your child can benefit from doing a course in multimedia.
Multimedia, the combination of various forms of media such as sound, images, texts, graphics, and animation to produce messages, is fast emerging as the most preferred choice of content creation and communication by most service sectors today. Moreover, the media and communications industries thrive on multimedia content and have been growing at a fast pace in recent times. This has given rise to a whole new field of study and is opening up the doors to career opportunities for multimedia specialists such as graphic designers, web designers, game designers, animators, and so on. If your teen is considering making a career as a multimedia specialist, do not hesitate to give wings to her dreams.
Advantages of learning multimedia courses
Investing time and money in a comprehensive multimedia course can prove to be the gateway to a promising career as a multimedia specialist. Here's all your teen should know before taking up a multimedia course.
Advantages of multimedia use today
- Better interpretation of information: In today's information-driven society, the use of multimedia plays a highly significant role in conveying important messages quickly and effectively by presenting information through a combination of media. It facilitates better understanding and retention of ideas by the audience.
- Dynamic use: The use of multimedia expands to a plethora of fields. Examples include video games and mobile apps such as augmented reality apps; educational resources such as animated videos, PowerPoint presentations, and interactive quizzes; social media promotion materials such as short animated videos, documentaries, dynamic websites, and online advertisements.
- Better audience engagement: The greatest advantage of using multimedia is that the content is capable of engaging the brain at various levels by providing visual and aural stimuli along with the text. Thus, content that uses multimedia can ensure faster grasping and retention of the material by helping learners or the target audience to visualize the concepts and make deeper connections.
Advantages of doing a course in Multimedia
- Offers the opportunity to learn multiple skills: In a multimedia course, your teen will be trained in various areas such as graphic designing, video and audio editing, web designing, VFX (visual effects) creation, 2-D and 3-D animation, and multimedia programming. A student of multimedia learns to work with important software such as Photoshop, Corel Draw, Flash, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Pagemaker, and Premiere.
- Provides invaluable experience: A person with a strong background in multimedia can plan and create content such as videos, infographics, podcasts, and flash banners for various platforms, which may include a company's website and its social media profiles like YouTube channels, Facebook pages, and Twitter account. Being able to create different forms of engaging and creative content across platforms makes a multimedia specialist an asset to a company that is looking to enhance its visibility among the target audience.
How long does it take to become a good multimedia specialist?
This depends on several factors such as your pace of learning and the time your teen is ready to invest in training. She can either complete a three-year graduation course in Visual Communication or Multimedia and enter the field or follow it up with a two-year postgraduate course in the same discipline before applying for jobs.
Short-term diploma or certificate courses are also an option. Ideally, she will need at least a year's training and dedicated practice in mastering various multimedia tools and techniques. She can get better with working experience in the industry.
Advantages of being a multimedia specialist
- Good prospects: Multimedia specialists are in the highest demand in media industries such as film production houses, websites, news organizations, television channels, advertising, the gaming industry, and the telecom industry. Multimedia specialists are also involved in important roles in software companies.
- Wider choices: But their demand is not restricted only to these fields. Other fields such as education, information technology, and healthcare also use multimedia content to support and promote their services. Most large-scale businesses as well as growing start-ups use websites to promote their businesses. And, website design and development require multimedia skills. Companies offering content and design solutions to their clients also hire multimedia specialists.
Advantages of a career in multimedia in India
- Sought-after specialization: Multimedia specialists in India are sought for various job profiles such as game development, web design, web content creation, graphic design, animation, eLearning content development, social media promotional material creation, user interfaces creation, app development, visual effects (VFX) direction and many more. Given the popularity of multimedia as the preferred choice of communication and promotion in various fields, it is a lucrative career path. There is also a great scope for career growth. In high-demand industries such as the media and the gaming industries, with experience, a multimedia specialist can climb the ladder from junior-level positions to higher supervisory positions.
- Innovative use of multimedia: With the convergence of different forms of media and people's increasing ability to access and share content, multimedia is likely to achieve higher dimensions. Innovations in areas such as gaming technology and augmented reality applications will need multimedia designers to upgrade their skills considerably to provide newer and more enhanced experiences to users. Fields such as medicine and defense are now turning to virtual reality as a training methodology. This means greater opportunities for multimedia specialists.
Advantages of being a multimedia designer
- Role of a multimedia designer: The main job profile of a multimedia designer involves combining various forms of creative expressions such as texts, images, graphics, animations, sound bytes, music, videos, and special effects to generate engaging and interactive content to drive across a company's messages to the target audience. The designer packages information in the most attractive way possible.
- Skills required: Besides a sound working knowledge of various multimedia software, a good multimedia designer should have the following—highly creative visualization, aesthetic and design sense such as understanding of balance, composition and color theory, excellent communication skills, and time management skills.
- Courses available: In India, Visual Communication at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels is popular among students. You can also take up degree courses in Multimedia. Intensive short-term courses can also prove to be equally beneficial if one is ready to learn the maximum during the period of study. You can also choose specialized courses in one or more aspects of multimedia.
For good job prospects, what matters is having the right skill sets, sound knowledge of the technology involved, and most importantly, an extensive portfolio of works. So, aspirants should invest more time in doing as many multimedia projects as possible before applying for jobs.
Advantages of pursuing an animation course in India
- Scope of animation: Today, animators are in high demand in India. There are several job openings for animators across different cities at various levels such as 2-D and 3-D animators, motion graphic animators, character animators, technical animators, senior animators, and animation directors.
- Salary of an animator: At the starting of one's career, an animator draws a salary between Rs 8,000 and Rs 15,000, depending on the company one works in. But within a few years of experience, the salary can scale up from Rs 25,000 to Rs 40,000. An experienced animator can earn up to Rs 60,000 per month or even higher if she has an extensive portfolio and strong skill sets to back her.
- Animation colleges: The top animation institutes in India are the National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad), MIT Institute of Design (Pune), F X School (Mumbai), National Institute of Film and Fine Arts (Kolkata), Mayabious Academy (Kolkata), Toonz Academy (Trivandrum and Coimbatore) and Asian Academy of Film and Television (Noida). Other popular institutes are Arena Animation, Picasso Animation College, Zee Institute of Creative Arts, and Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics (MAAC), which have centers in different cities of India.
Advantages of pursuing a course in VFX
- Scope of VFX: VFX, short for visual effects, is a technique widely used in film-making in the post-production stage to enhance the settings, backgrounds, and other components of an image in shots taken in the real world. The visual effects create an augmented experience for the viewer, which is not possible with simple editing.
- Demand for VFX artists: Worldwide, the demand for VFX artists is high presently and according to estimates is expected to shoot up in the next few years. In India, well-trained and highly skilled VFX artists are sought for various roles in the film, television and gaming industries such as layout artists, composting artists, lighting artists, rendering artists, match mover artists, roto artists, matte painters and so on.
- Role of VFX artist: A VFX artist is expected to carry out a wide variety of operations such as creating visual storyboards in tandem with the script, ensuring seamlessness between already shot visuals and the effects added later, enhancing the lighting and colors in visuals, turning 3-D images into visuals that can simulate a real-world like experience among viewers, creating fantastical backgrounds and settings, digitally altering the looks of actors in keeping with the characters they play and so on.
What is the difference between VFX and animation?
In VFX, the artist works on enhancing aspects of already existing visual footage shot in real-life settings. On the other hand, an animator creates the settings and the visuals from scratch using motion graphics techniques. An animator does not get any pre-shot footage to work with. All the movements and actions in animation are created on the computer using animation software.
Developing the necessary skills, working hard, and maintaining a positive attitude can bring rich dividends for an aspirant in the rapidly growing area of multimedia.