Kids are naturally curious and inquisitive and require parental supervision all the time. They do not hesitate before exploring every nook and cranny of the house that includes electrical outlets and equipment that can prove fatal.
Emedicinehealth.com says electric shock occurs when a person comes in contact with an electrical energy source resulting in minor injury or in some cases, even death.
So, what does one do when a child suffers from an electric shock?
According to an article titled Electric Shock by Lynda Liu published in parents.com in 2000, if your child is electrocuted, certain steps are to be followed:
- The power source should be turned off. The plug should be disconnected or the electricity should be switched off at the fuse box. In case this is difficult, use a wooden or plastic object to separate the child.
- Someone should call the local emergency number.
- If the victim has a pulse but is not breathing, rescue breathing should be performed.
- Check for burns once the child resumes breathing and try to apply wet cloths to first or second degree burns.
‘If your child suffers electric shock, he may have skin burns, numbness or tingling, muscle contractions, pain or weakness or even hearing impairment.’ says babycenter.com.
Recovery from an electric shock depends on the nature and the severity of the injury. But, with proper and timely medical care, the path to recovery will be smooth and fast. However, being always cautious when it comes to electric devices and taking proper precautionary measures make sure a serious disaster is avoided.
To know more about other such steps to follow when your child suffers an electric shock, please flip through the pages of this ClipBook.
Children under 5 who either chewed on electrical cords or played with wall sockets accounted for 70 percent of these injuries. If your toddler touches a household current, he'll likely pull his hand away in time to prevent serious harm.
Young children, particularly toddlers, experience electric shock most often when they bite into electrical cords or poke metal objects such as forks or knives into unprotected outlets or appliances.
Children like to stick their little fingers everywhere especially in plug sockets. You need to be alert enough until your child is matured to understand that.
The danger from an electrical shock depends on the type of current, how high the voltage is, how the current traveled through the body, the person's overall health and how quickly the person is treated.
When looking at how to baby proof (or “child-proof” if you don’t like calling your little one a baby) your home, you must consider everything and anything that is electrical because, as you may have noticed, electrical products and your baby just ...
The good news is that children are at very little risk from electric shocks. But electrical appliances can be dangerous in other ways. Old appliances and children playing with electric appliances can cause burns and fires.
Do you have young children at home or grandchildren who visit? Maybe it’s time you ‘kid-proofed’ your house to reduce the risk of electrical hazards. Here are just a few of the top tips that will help your children stay safe at home.
Protecting children from getting shocked is an important part of being a parent. There are three important ways that parents can make sure their home is safe for kids of all ages.