Why Experiential Learning Is Important For Your Child
Learning beyond the classroom has a better impact on your child. Find out how it helps your child fall in love with learning.
By Archana Goenka • 6 min read
The world is becoming smaller in size and growing bigger in terms of knowledge and innovations. Everything is evolving and so is the education sector. To be able to keep up with the changes, children need to be logical and analytical thinkers rather than relying on their rote memory. It’s time teachers change the way they teach and engage students in a more interactive way. Taking students beyond the four walls of a classroom has great power and is gathering tangible results as students are encouraged to use their critical thinking and decision-making skills while accomplishing tasks. Experiential learning bridges the gap between theoretical and practical learning.
Listed are some pointers on why experiential learning is vital for your child.
- Enables speedy learning: Today, ‘learning by memorising’ has been replaced with ‘learning by doing’. With experiential learning through media, the disconnect due to rote learning is replaced by using techniques that flow with thinking, query solving and decision-making. Experiential learning is an established method for applying and using knowledge.
- Keeps children engaged and increases participation: With the help of edutainment, children are more engaged, understand and internalise concepts better. With the key focus being on learning from experiences, there is a greater chance of people coming together so that they can learn from each other. Additionally, with students immediately getting involved in problem-solving, there is increased participation and ownership.
- Has a deep impact: It has been proved that learning by doing has a bigger impact than rote learning or ‘chalk and board’ method. Experiential learning creates a deep impression in one’s mind. Through experiential learning, children understand a concept with more clarity and the knowledge imbibed, becomes a part of their thought process.
- Prepares to face life challenges: Experiential learning prepares your children to face challenges by hand-holding them through similar examples. It empowers them with skill sets that help them take decisions and excel in all areas of life be it personal or professional.
- Aids in customised learning: Unlike rote learning, practical learning can be personalised. The technique includes assessing the problem, building strategies on how to solve the problem and finally solving it. It is a great way to ensure learning happens seamlessly rather than in a stressful manner.
- Excellent measurable return on investment (RoI): As mentioned above, experiential learning happens beyond the classroom. This method, where problems are personalised, yields excellent RoI in the future, compared to old school-learning.
Experiential learning along with edutainment helps increase a child’s inclination toward learning and helps in his overall growth. Encourage your child to learn beyond his books and the school and help him fall in love with learning.
Archana Goenka is Trustee and Academic Director of C.P. Goenka International School.
More For You
More for you
How To Introduce Newspaper Reading Habit T...
Newspapers are loaded with information of great educational value to children. But how can you en...
Parama Gupta • 7 min read
Websites To Help Your Child With Academics
Tired of not being able to help your child with her studies? Worry no more! Here are some good ed...
Gemmarie Venkataramani • 7 min read
How to Raise Children Who Solve Their Own ...
The ability to solve problems is an important life skill, which can equip a child with the abilit...
Arun Sharma • 11 min read