Top 5 Trends In Newborn Clothing For 2018
Looking to dress up your little bundle of joy with the latest in baby wear? Our useful tips from a clothing expert, ensure your newborn stays trendy and comfortable
By Sharad Venkta
The last few years have witnessed a steady transformation in the baby care segment in India. Despite this segment being in the nascent stage, global exposure and a better understanding of the market have influenced tastes and buying trends among new parents.
Several factors may influence trends in baby clothing:
- When it comes to newborn clothing, parents have become brand conscious. Media awareness has increased to a certain extent. Families have more disposable income because often, both the parents are working. Parents look for good quality clothes and popularity of a brand.
- In recent times, we have seen a major change happening. Parents are no more buying clothes from the local street-side shops. And, it is because of this that the market for branded clothing is gaining a lot of traction.
- There is a huge shift in the mode of shopping. E-commerce websites have become popular and are responsible for the change in the shopping habits of parents. As kids clothing is one of the fastest growing segments of the apparel market, online retailing has witnessed tremendous growth.
- Some trends are popular while others die down. The market for baby care is mostly restricted to the urban areas and hasn't penetrated the rural areas so much, compared to the other developed and developing markets across the globe.
While buying newborn clothes, parents should consider the following factors:
- Size matters: Before buy clothes for your newborn, size is one of the most important factors that you should consider. Even though baby clothes come in sizes according to age, the fitting may vary as each kid grows at a different pace. Make sure you buy the right size.
- The Right Fabric: Baby wear comes in different materials. Considering that parents give a lot of importance to comfort, it is essential that the material shouldn’t irritate the little one. The most common materials used for newborn clothing are blended cotton and organic cotton. Parents, nowadays prefer using organic cotton as it is cool and soothing on the skin.
- Convenience: As parents change clothes of their newborns several times a day, they prefer buying clothes that are easy to put on and remove. The last thing they would want to do is struggle to dress and undress their newborn.
- Buying habits: The way parents and relatives of the newborn buy clothing has also seen a change. Earlier, parents would buy in bulk, but now, the scenario is different. There is no dearth of choice, and all stores may stock something unique. That’s why parents may prefer buying from different stores so that they get more options and variety. As more parents are trying unique clothes and accessories for their newborn, trendy clothes are becoming increasingly popular. Fashion for the babies has taken a life of its own.
Here are some styles that are on trend for babies:
- Infant Bodysuits: As parents prefer clothes that combine comfort with easy wearing, infant bodysuits are quite the trend. These outfits are easy to change and come as long tees that are held together with the help of snap buttons. Infant bodysuits work best while travelling.
- Baby Gowns: It is a single garment that parents prefer to make their kids wear at night. Baby gowns are known to keep children warm and cosy at night, while they are asleep. The best part about baby gowns is that they are gender-neutral. So, they have become the favourite of new parents. Also, baby gowns do not have zippers or snaps that can hurt while sleeping and make it convenient to change diapers. Baby fashion does not focus anymore on pink and blue; it rather focuses on gender-neutral motifs.
- Rock Tees: The rock T-shirt is the most popular baby trend this year. We are getting to see a lot of classic rock bands such as The Beatles, Rolling Stones etc., on baby tees. Parents love such fun styles, and these outfits look adorable on the little one.
- Clothing sets: For parents who are looking for convenience, clothing sets are a big draw. Parents prefer clothing sets as they come in matching styles for both boys and girls. Apart from this, parents get to choose from a variety of options that include combinations of pants and suits, tops and slacks in a particular theme and so on.
- One-piece: Are you looking to keep your little cherub covered from head to toe? Or need a fuss-free sleeping outfit. One-piece outfits that come with different options are the answer. The options include footies and sleepers with snap buttons that make wearing them a breeze.
So what are you waiting for? Now that you know the latest trends decide what outfit will work best for your baby and go shopping.
The author is Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Toonz Retail.
More For You
More for you
When Do Babies Start To See?
Have you ever wondered how babies begin to see you and the world around them? The distance they c...
Why Do Lullabies Put Babies To Sleep?
Do you sing a lullaby to your baby before bedtime? Ever wondered why babies sleep to it? Also, ap...
5 Indo-Western Outfits For Diwali
Want to look dazzling this Diwali? Embrace a more fusion style of dressing and make sure your fam...