The Power Of Positive Thinking: 8 Tips For Children
Feeling happy and satisfied depends on an individual’s outlook towards life. Here’s how positive thinking can help us feel fulfilled and content.
By Anju Ann Mathew • 7 min read
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." – (attributed to) Abraham Lincoln
Positive thinking is a very powerful tool. Not only does it help us cope with difficult situations by making us resilient, but also gives us the ability to control our reactions and develop our strengths, to eventually emerge victorious. With many more benefits of positive thinking, won’t it be a good idea to teach your child early on how to think positively? Here are a few tips:
- Treat with affection: Children are emotionally sensitive. Therefore, parents need to be reassuring and affectionate to help their child learn how to regulate his emotions and empower himself. This helps the child gain control of his feelings, put in more effort, complete tasks at hand, overcome disappointments and achieve more.
- Help overcome fear: Every child experiences fear in some form or the other. However, with a little help from parents, children can easily overcome most of their fears. You can begin by exposing your child to less scary situations and gradually working towards her bigger fears. With time, as your child gains confidence, she will feel less anxious and become more composed and assertive.
- Encourage extra-curricular activities: Children take interest in several extra-curricular activities such as arts and crafts, music and sports. If you find that your child has the potential to do well in any activity, encourage him to pursue that instead of making him do what you want him to. Remember, children feel positive about life when they are given the opportunity to do what they love doing.
- Promote problem-solving skills: Facing problems and being unable to come up with solutions can be frustrating to children. It can affect them in many adverse ways, like giving rise to negative emotions, inability to get along with others and handle responsibilities. So, teach your child problem-solving skills. This will improve her self-esteem and make feel good about herself, which would also improve her behaviour.
- Teach self-love: Several children go through the trouble of not feeling good about themselves. Listening to unkind words, and being disrespected or taken advantage of can affect a child’s sense of self-love and respect. As a parent, teach your child to feel good and love himself. Be careful with the words you choose while speaking to your child and teach him how to be happy even when he encounters negativity.
- Don’t be overprotective: Don’t be very protective of your child and expose him to only positive experiences. Ensure that he also comes face-to-face with what may not be to his liking or negative experiences that make him feel a little uncomfortable. This will help him understand that life isn’t perfect, and make him learn what he should take in and what he should avoid.
- Teach how to forgive and forget: Differences of opinion are common among humans, irrespective of their age. Teach your child how to resolve differences and disagreements. Also, there are times when, during a conversation, we listen to or say a few things that hurt. Help your child understand that it is always good to forgive and forget. For, to move ahead in life, we need to drop the baggage and adopt a happy outlook.
- Be a role model: There can be no better way of teaching your child than being his role model. If you share a positive relationship with your spouse and others in the family, your child will feel good and thrive in the pleasant atmosphere. He will also learn how to create an air of positivity around himself. So, try to maintain a happy expression, spend time together, and listen to what others have to say.
Both positives and negatives are a part of life. So, it is not possible to just draw inspiration from the positives and remain unaffected by the negatives. However, with a little effort, you can help your child learn how to stay positive even during times of adversity.
Hope you liked this article. To get expert tips and read interesting articles on a wide variety of parenting topics, subscribe now to our magazine.
More For You
More for you
Top 10 Hilarious Parenting Moments
Parenting involves a lot of responsibilities, but children can also create some very funny and me...
Team ParentCircle • 8 min read
How To Teach Your Child Positive Self-talk
Self-talk is normal and has several benefits. Here are a few ways you can teach your child how to...
Amrita Gracias • 9 min read
There can’t be a more rewarding experience than adopting positive ways to guide your child toward...
Arun Sharma • 9 min read