The Healing Garden: Grow 6 Homeopathic Herbs At Home
Would you like it if you could grow your own medicines to treat your child? Read on to know more
By Dr Pankaj Aggarwal
Homoeopathic remedies belong to the natural world. There are various natural sources of homoeopathic medicines including plants, animals and minerals. About 60% of homoeopathic medicines are made from parts of plants like roots, berries, flowers, seeds, etc. So, they have no side effects.
Some common medicines made from the plant kingdom are allium cepa, pulsatilla, bryonia, belladonna, gelsemium, rhus toxicodendron, aconite, etc.
Here is the list of plants you can grow at home that can be your survival kit.
1. Aloe vera - The juice from aloe vera is exceptionally useful in speeding up the healing process of wounds, cuts, burns and in reducing inflammation. Aloe vera supports the regeneration of healthy non-cancerous cells. It stimulates metabolism, reinforces the body and combats fatigue. It is also anti-septic and anti-fungal. Aloe vera detoxifies the body and protects it from auto-immune diseases. It improves blood circulation, prevents diabetes and cholesterol.
Homeopathic medicine made from aloe vera: Aloes
2. Garlic - It is a very powerful medicinal plant. Eating a clove or two of fresh garlic a day may indeed keep the doctor away because it has immune-boosting, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal effects. Use its capsules internally for recurrent vaginal yeast infections. Use a garlic infusion topically as a soak for athlete's foot, or add garlic to oil to treat middle-ear infections. It fights 14 cancer cells including brain, lungs and breast.
3. Tulsi - The holy basil, tulsi, is well-known for its use in traditional Ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines. Tulsi is generally used for the treatment of fever with pain, typhoid, intermittent fever, influenza, catarrh, cough, tonsillitis, teary eyes, ear pain, oral and abdominal symptoms and diarrhoea. It also helps to cure malaria.
4. Ashwagandha - It improves memory, keeps your free from anxiety, improves mental ability, works as a powerful immune booster. It helps cure gastrointestinal disorders, boosts the immune system and prevents diabetes.
5. Basil - It is frequently used as a culinary ingredient but it also has numerous health benefits. It lowers blood pressure, it is anti-spasmodic, has a cholesterol lowering effect, is a detoxifier, cleanses blood and lowers blood sugar levels.
6. Thyme - It is mostly known for its strong antiseptic nature. Thyme is a dominant antioxidant and expectorant. It acts as an antiseptic and has antibacterial properties. It is also an excellent source of vitamins C and A, iron, manganese, copper and fibre.
If you have a herb garden of your own, do write to us about it in the comments below.
The author is a Senior Homeopathy physician at Agarwal Homeo Clinic.
More For You
More for you
Dr Sunita Maheshwari: Doctor-Entrepreneur ...
Meet paediatric cardiologist-turned-pioneering healthcare entrepreneur Sunita Maheswari. We talk ...
10 Health Benefits Of Gooseberry
From the common cold to diabetes, from nourishing your hair to relieving constipation, adding goo...
Aspirin - Just not for kids
We’ve always thought of aspirin as a harmless but effective drug to treat fever, aches and pains....