Teach Kids How To Prevent Water Pollution
Much has been said about saving water and preventing water pollution, but are we doing enough? If not, it’s time to start right now. Here are some useful tips to help you.
By V Saravana Kumar • 8 min read
Water is the elixir of life and is absolutely irreplaceable. Just imagine a day without water and you will realise how impossible it would be to survive. Right from gargling after brushing in the morning to having a glass or two of it before hitting the bed at night, we need water for our various needs.
However, the depleting fresh water reserves, and the mindless pollution of water bodies across the globe is a worrying factor. This is putting the life of future generations, both human and other life forms, at a huge risk. So, it’s high time we acted proactively to save water and prevent water pollution. Here are some tips to help you to do so and contribute your bit to saving the earth:
Tips to save water
- Always keep a check on the amount of water you use. Be it at home or office, limit the quantity of water you use, as it is the first step towards water conservation. Also, teach your child the same. You would be astonished to know that a simple act like keeping the tap turned off while brushing your teeth can save five litres of water every time. That means almost 1800 litres of water saved every year, by every individual. Mindboggling, isn’t it? You can also use showers and taps that are specially designed for the purpose of saving water, and also install a low-flush toilet.
- Leaking taps and fittings are the most common culprits when it comes to wasting water. Fix the leaks to make sure not even a drop of water is wasted. This goes a long way in saving a lot of water.
- There can’t be a better source of water than rain. So, install a rainwater harvesting system at home, if you haven’t done it yet. This is necessary to save the rainwater and prevent it from flowing into a drain.
- Never run a hose to wash your car and bike – it results in gallons of water getting wasted. Instead, you can use a spray nozzle which will help you control the water flow. Even better, you can choose the good old way of using just a bucket of water with a sponge. Nowadays, there is also the option of waterless vehicle wash.
- Some simple hacks like using the washing machine or dishwasher only when fully loaded, using leftover liquids from cooking to water plants, using soap instead of shower gel, washing fruits and vegetables in a bowl of water, using water from buckets instead of directly from taps in bathrooms, and using a watering can instead of a hose to water plants surprisingly saves a huge amount of water.
Tips to prevent water pollution
- Most of us pour the used cooking oil down the kitchen sink without thinking about what this does to the environment. Oil thus discarded pollutes the water flowing through the drain. Instead, collect the leftover cooking oil in a jar and dispose it together with solid waste.
- Don’t discard waste paper, wiping cloth and any other synthetic garbage down the toilet drain. This results in clogging of the drains and seeping of the chemicals from these materials into the water, which ultimately leads to water pollution. Dispose solid waste in the right manner.
- Limit the usage of chemicals in the form of detergents, floor cleaners, bathroom cleaners and bleaching agents. As much as possible, replace them with organic and ecofriendly options.
- Never pollute water bodies like ponds, lakes, streams, rivers and seas by dumping waste in them. Instead, find ways to dispose trash properly. Also, involve yourself and family members in activities like cleaning and desilting water bodies.
- Maintain proper methods of sewage water management in your home, by installing septic tanks and cellar drains. This helps in keeping the public sewer systems unpolluted.
- If you have a garden at home, don’t use chemical-laden fertilisers. Instead, use organic and natural manure which doesn’t pollute the land and water.
How to teach your child the importance of water
- Through examples, make your little one understand that water is vital for existence of life on planet earth. Teach her how water is essential for our body to function normally, and also for various other living beings. Showing them picture books and videos on the importance of water can help.
- Take your child out on picnics to spots near water bodies and let her enjoy the beauty and the vastness of those lakes, rivers and seas.
- Make her realise how hazardous it is to pollute water bodies, and about ways to avoid it.
- Show how water leakages at home can be prevented or fixed.
- Motivate your child to be frugal when using water for bathing, washing or cleaning. 5. Let her know how much water is used in your household, for example, by showing her the water bill. This will motivate her to save water in as many ways as possible.
- Explain how the rainwater harvesting process works to your child, and also, how it helps in saving water for the present as well as future.
- Encourage your child to talk to her friends about water conservation and ways to prevent water pollution. Motivate them also actively participate in campaigns working for the cause.
- Teach the importance of growing more trees, which results in more rains and an abundant water supply.
To sum up, all it takes to save water and prevent water pollution are a few small steps that begin at home. These simple acts create a huge impact and play a vital role in conservation of water. As a parent, you have the responsibility of being a role model for your child and motivating him to follow practices that saves water and prevents water pollution. So, act today for a better tomorrow.
Also read:Effects Of Air Pollution On Children
More For You
More for you
Teach Your Kids About Water Conservation
As parents, it’s our duty to ensure a better future for our children. With water scarcity threate...
Leena Ghosh • 6 min read
Baby Girl Names Starting With D
Are you searching for a trendy girl baby name starting with letter D? Look no further. Here’s a l...
V Saravana Kumar • 7 min read
Baby Girl Names Starting With S
If you want for a trendy name starting with letter S for your little daughter, look no further. H...
V Saravana Kumar • 7 min read