Super Easy Fruit-Based Snacks for Your Preschooler
Is your child fussy about eating fruits? Does he turn up his nose at the mention of an apple or a guava? We have a solution. These interesting and yummy recipes will convert them forever
By Maathangi Iyer
When your little one throws a tantrum whenever you present him with a luscious banana or a ripe and juicy apple, no amount of cajoling will do the trick. Even though children may not be averse to all fruits, some of them will be picky about certain types of fruits and getting them to eat those can be quite a task. But fear not. The following recipes, which use fruits will give them all the goodness they have been missing. Make sure you use the ones which are in season.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 5 cups of firm apples (sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsps of flour
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- A pinch of baking soda
- A pinch of baking powder
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C
- Peel, core apples, slice thinly and put in a large container.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and flour. Mix to coat all the apples evenly.
- Pour the coated apples into a pie pan. To make the topping, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix until crumbs are formed.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the apples.
- Bake for 50 minutes.You can serve with ice-cream.
Banana Walnut Bread
Preparation Time: 90 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Line a loaf pan/cake tin with parchment, letting the excess hang over the sides. Coat with a little butter or spray cooking spray.
- Toast the walnuts. Whisk together the softened butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until combined. Add the eggs and then the vanilla and milk.
- Mash the bananas thoroughly with whisk until smooth and then add to the mixture.
- Gently stir in the flour until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes. Let it cool for about 30 minutes and then slice and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 pears
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Heat a heavy skillet. Once hot, brush with butter and place pear slices, 2 1/2 inches apart.
- Cook until both sides are brown.
- Add sugar and water and lightly mix till pear is evenly coated with this mixture.
- Remove and serve
Strawberry Pancake with Banana Foster Sauce
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsps butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cups pureed strawberries
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Mix all the ingredients together in one large bowl to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a tawa or a skillet. Add a dollop of butter and spoon 2 to 3 tbsp of batter for each pancake
- Using the back of the spoon spread a little, not too much. Cook until pancakes swell up and you see bubbles, about three minutes per pancake.
- For the sauce, first melt the butter and then add the brown sugar. Whisk until mixed. Add water and make it smooth. Toss in the bananas in the sauce just before serving. Pour over pancakes and serve.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes + freezing time
- Flavours for different popsicles
- Watermelon juice
- Lime juice
- Mango juice
- Orange juice
- Chunks of fruits (kiwi, watermelon, strawberries)
- Blend the above-mentioned ingredients separately.
- Sieve juice to remove seeds
- Pour into moulds
- Insert sticks all the way through moulds
- Freeze Overnight
- To remove pops from mould, run under warm water for a few seconds.
These fun and easy recipes will make sure your children get lots of fruits and that too…without complaining.
More For You
More for you
Healthy Snacks That Are Easy To Pack For W...
Do you feel guilty when you reach out for that packet of chips your colleague offers you to quell...
Is Peanut Butter Safer Than Regular Butter?
Many people believe that peanut butter contains saturated fat and sodium and is not ‘exactly’ hea...
5 Diwali Party Snacks Within 10 Minutes
Inviting friends over for a Diwali get-together? And you are clueless about what to offer your gu...