Simple Home Remedies To Remove Stretch Marks By Shahnaz Husain
Looking for ways to remove stretch marks after pregnancy? Here are some home remedies for stretch marks given by beauty expert Shahnaz Husain where she tells you how to remove stretch marks fast.
By Team ParentCircle • 10 min read
New mom Samina was all excited about her cousin’s wedding, which was to take place after two months. She was checking out designer sarees at a boutique to wear for the occasion when she remembered – she had unsightly stretch marks on her midriff after childbirth. Those stretch marks would be noticed by her relatives if she wore a saree. So, she sadly moved on to the salwar kameez section.
Women from all over the world face the problem of stretch marks, especially after pregnancy. However, apart from pregnancy, there are other causes for stretch marks. And this problem is not unique to women as men get stretch marks too.
Also read: Acne After Childbirth: How To Deal With It
Find out more about home remedies for stretch marks from skin and beauty expert Shahnaz Husain, Founder, Chairperson and Managing Director of a leading herbal cosmetic group, and know how to remove stretch marks fast with some simple home remedies that will work their magic on your skin.
"Bridal makeup options are based on the products used, like high-definition products and airbrush products. Depending on your skin type, the artist will suggest which kind of makeup is suitable for you. I always check out my client’s skin texture and base before suggesting any options."
— Amritha Suresh, Professional Makeup Artist, Chennai
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks, on the abdomen or any other part of the body, usually occur when the person experiences a sudden weight gain or weight loss. They are essentially tear marks on the skin indicating that it has been stretched too much. They appear as white or coloured streaks on the skin. These marks often begin by being reddish or purplish in colour and, over time, they gradually fade to white or silver. It is a common problem women face during pregnancy. Also, since the skin is stretched so much, its natural elasticity gets destroyed.
Where can stretch marks appear on the body?
Stretch marks can appear anywhere on the body. But they commonly appear on the abdomen, breasts, thighs and upper arms of the body. Following are some causes of stretch marks
Stretch marks due to weight loss
Stretch marks can occur due to weight loss. So, if you are looking to lose weight, take care of your skin along with your diet and exercise, especially if you are on a weight-loss programme. Try to lose weight gradually, as rapid weight causes more stretch marks. Both exercise and massage can help prevent stretch marks to an extent, as by doing that the muscles and skin gets toned.
Stretch marks due to pregnancy
If you are pregnant, consult your doctor about stretch mark removal and the type of exercise and massage you must follow to reduce stretch marks.
Stretch marks and itching
Sometimes, stretch marks are accompanied by itching. This happens if the skin is particularly dry when it gets stretched.
"Trial makeup is necessary only if you are new to makeup, have sensitive skin, or are allergic to some products. But, a trial will not give you the same look as a complete makeover done on the D-day. It will only help you get an idea of what the makeup is going to look like." — Amritha Suresh, Professional Make-up Artist, Chennai
How to remove old stretch marks fast?
When it comes to stretch marks, ‘Prevention is better than cure’. Although stretch marks gradually fade with time, they can never be removed completely. At first, stretch marks may look red or purple in colour. With time, they gradually fade to white marks. However, if you begin to treat these marks while they are still reddish in colour, you have better chances of treating them. Older stretch marks that become white are more difficult to remove.
If you’ve been wondering how to clear stretch marks here are some home remedies that’ll help you get rid of them.
Home remedies to treat stretch marks
‘How to remove stretch marks on thighs?’ ‘How to remove stretch marks on arms?’ ‘How to get rid of stretch marks on arms?’ Do you ask these questions regularly? Following are natural remedies to remove stretch marks.
- Exfoliate: Regular exfoliation of your skin helps to reduce stretch marks. For example, mix rice powder with yogurt and turmeric to form a paste, and then be rub the paste gently on the affected area.
- Massage: Massage the stretched area with olive oil or sesame seed (til) oil. You may also mix gram flour with yogurt and turmeric to form a paste and apply on the oiled area. Wash it off after half-an-hour. Then apply moisturising lotion. Repeat this skin regimen three times a week. Also, wheatgerm oil, which is rich in Vitamin E, helps in removing stretch marks. It can be mixed with olive oil, almond oil or any other cold pressed oil and used for massaging the skin.
- Moisturise: You can also make your own moisturiser by mixing wheatgerm oil, aloe vera gel and olive oil in equal quantities. Apply this daily on the body, especially on areas with stretch marks, or on areas that are prone to stretch marks. You may also apply aloe vera gel daily on the stretch marks. It helps to repair the supportive tissues. It also moisturises and heals the skin. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Nourish: Egg white is yet another skin-tightening ingredient which you can be used at home. Mix whites of one egg with oats and apply on the affected area. Wash it off when it dries. Then apply olive oil to nourish the skin.
Tips on massage and skincare
- Keep your skin hydrated. The application of body lotions help rehydrate the skin and prevents dryness. Apply body lotion immediately after your bath, while the skin is still damp. This helps to seal in the moisture into the skin.
- Massage your skin regularly with oil as it would help to soften the skin and prevent skin problems. Use pure olive oil or sesame seed oil for massage. If you have dry skin, use pure almond oil.
- For the massage, use long ‘up and down’ stroking movements on the muscles of the arms and legs. Work along the natural muscle contours. The abdomen should be massaged with circular movements, starting out from the navel and going outwards. For the upper abdomen, the direction should be from right to left, while for the lower abdomen, the circular strokes should be from left to right.
- If you are pregnant, do not massage the abdomen without your doctor’s advice and direction. Similarly, if there is any injury on any body part or if there is any skin problem, first consult your doctor before applying any home remedy.
"Your makeup holding all day into the evening depends on the weather condition, the wedding location (indoors or outdoors), and your skin type. HD makeover stays put for upto 6 hours indoors, and airbrush makeup stays for 12 hours. Outdoor makeup will not last through the day without some touch up." — Amritha Suresh, Professional Makeup Artist, Chennai
Home remedies for stretch marks during pregnancy
Natural remedies for stretch marks such as aloe vera, egg whites, wheatgerm oil and sesame seed oil are always better and safer to apply on your skin to treat stretch marks. So, try out these simple home remedies. However, keep in mind that such treatment methods will take time to show results.
Be patient and follow a proper skincare routine, and watch your stretch marks fade away.
About the author:
Written by Team ParentCircle on 13 February 2019.
About the expert:
Shahnaz Husain is the CEO of the Shahnaz Husain Group. A prominent Ayurvedic beauty expert, she has helped put India on the world beauty map. She has also been recognised for her efforts with a Padma Shri.
Join our Circles to share, discuss and learn from fellow parents and experts!
More For You
More for you
10 Reasons Why One Should Opt For Natural ...
Today, many women are opting for C-section for many reasons - fear of labour pain, excessive bloo...
Team ParentCircle • 8 min read
Every Parent Is A Storyteller
Did you enjoy the story by Janaki Sabesh, our beloved storyteller and author? Now, let’s find out...
Team Parentcircle • 2 min read