NEET 2019: Admit Card, Exam Dates, Pattern and Preparation Tips

As your child prepares for NEET 2019, here is everything she needs to know about exam dates, syllabus and other relevant details.

By Sarika Chuni  • 12 min read

NEET 2019: Admit Card, Exam Dates, Pattern and Preparation Tips

Each year, lakhs of students from across the country compete in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for coveted medical college seats. Clearing NEET, formerly called the All-India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT), is mandatory to obtain admission to MBBS and BDS medical colleges in India.

Until 2018, NEET used to be conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). However, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) created the National Testing Agency (NTA) to conduct the various entrance exams held in India. So, from 2019, the NTA will be responsible for conducting NEET once a year in offline mode only.

NEET 2019 will be conducted on May 5, 2019 and a record number of more than 13 lakh MBBS and BDS aspirants are scheduled to appear for the exam. Let's take a detailed look at the NEET 2019 examination.

NEET dates

The important dates for NEET 2019 are as follows:

Release of NEET 2019 application form: 1 November 2018

Last date for submitting the form: 30 November 2018

Date for paying the fee: 1 November 2018 to 1 December 2018 (extended to 8 December 2018)

Date for making corrections in the application form: 14 to 31 January 2019

Availability of admit card: 15 April 2019

NEET 2019 exam date: 5 May 2019

Time of exam: 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Declaration of result: 5 June 2019

Counselling: Begins after result declaration

NEET exam pattern

Mode of examination: Offline (pen and paper mode)

Duration of examination: 3 hours

Total number of questions: 180

Sections: Physics – 45 questions, Chemistry – 45 questions, Biology – 90 questions

Marking scheme: +4 marks for each correct answer, –1 mark for each wrong answer, 0 mark for each unanswered question

Maximum marks: 720 marks

Method of aggregate score calculation: Total number of correct answers × 4 – Total number of incorrect answers × 1

(Note: There is no deduction of marks for not attempting questions.)

NEET question paper language

NEET question paper 2019 will be available in 11 different languages including English, Hindi, Urdu, and eight regional languages. The availability of regional languages will depend on the location of the NEET exam centre 2019. The options of regional languages will be available as follows:

English and Hindi: All examination centres

English and Urdu: All examination centres

English and Assamese: Examination centres in Assam

English and Bengali: Examination centres in West Bengal

English and Gujarati: Examination centres in Gujarat, Daman, Dadra and Nagar Haveli

English and Marathi: Examination centres in Maharashtra

English and Tamil: Examination centres in Tamil Nadu

English and Telugu: Examination centres in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana

English and Oriya: Examination centres in Odisha

English and Kannada: Examination centres in Karnataka

NEET reservation quota

NEET 2019 will have a 15% All-India quota. This means, admission to all the medical colleges of the country will be done through 15% all India quota and the remaining 85% through state quota.

For example, in a medical college 15% admissions will be done through all India quota and the remaining 85% seats would be filled through the state quota.

The 15% all India quota norms are applicable for all the government and private medical colleges of India, except J&K.

The admission to these reserved seats will be conducted by the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) on behalf of the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC).

The reservation of seats for 15% of All-India quota is as follows:

Scheduled caste: 15%

Scheduled tribe: 7.5%

OBC (non-creamy layer): 27%

Persons with disabilities (PWD): 3%

NEET syllabus

The syllabus comprises three main subjects – Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

The detailed syllabus is as follows:


Class 11

Physical world and measurement


Laws of motion

Work, energy and power

Motion of system and particles of rigid body


Properties of bulk matter


Behaviour of perfect gas and kinetic theory

Oscillations and waves

Class 12


Current electricity

Magnetic effects of current and magnetism

Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents

Electromagnetic waves


Dual nature of matter and radiation

Atoms and nuclei

Electronic devices


Class 11

Basic concepts of chemistry

Structure of atoms

Classification of elements and periodicity in properties

Chemical bonding and molecular structure

States of matter: gases and liquids



Redox reactions


s-block elements (alkali and alkaline earth metals)

Some p-block elements


Environmental chemistry

Organic chemistry – some basic principles and techniques

Class 12

Solid state



Chemical kinetics

Surface chemistry

General principles and process of isolation of elements

p-block elements

d and f block elements

Coordination compounds

Haloalkanes and haloarenes

Alcohols, phenols and ethers

Aldehydes, ketones and carboxylic acids

Organic compounds containing nitrogen


Chemistry in everyday life


Class 11

Diversity in living world

Structural organization in animals and plants

Cell structure and function

Plant physiology

Human physiology

Class 12


Genetics and evolution

Biology and human welfare

Biotechnology and its applications

Ecology and environment

Changes in the admit card

1. No need for Proforma sheet: In NEET 2018, candidates had to fill up a proforma sheet, attach their photograph to it and bring it with their admit cards.

This is no longer required in NEET 2019. Candidates have to only download the admit card from the official NEET UG 2019 website (

The admit card has been released by NTA ( on 15 April 2019. Candidates can download the admit card from the link mentioned above by entering their registration details.

The admit card is mailed to the candidate’s email ID in a pdf format after it is downloaded from the website.

2. Different page for instructions: The important instructions will be on the second page of the admit card.

3. Browser requirements: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox should be used to download the NEET 2019 admit card.

4. Hard copy: No hard copy of the admit card will be sent by post to the candidate this year.

NEET exam day schedule

Events Time/details

Last entry in the examination hall: 1:30 p.m.

Announcement of important instructions and checking of admit cards by the invigilator: 1:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.

Distribution of test booklet by the invigilator: 1:45 p.m.

Filling up of test booklet by the candidate: 1:50 p.m.

Commencement of NEET exam: 2:00 p.m.

Completion of NEET exam: 5:00 p.m.

Use of Blue/Black ball point pen only: Pen will be provided at the centre for filling up the test booklet and responses on the answer sheet.

NEET 2019 rules

  • Candidates appearing in NEET 2019 must follow the new rules and regulation as prescribed by the NTA.
  • Candidates are required to produce the admit card to get admission in the exam hall. Those who do not possess a valid admit card will not be permitted to enter the exam hall.
  • In the exam hall, the admit card will be examined by the invigilator to confirm the identity of the candidate.
  • Every candidate will be given their own seat with a roll number. It is essential that the candidates find their designated seat and occupy that seat and none other, failing which, the candidature of an aspirant shall be cancelled.
  • No candidate will be allowed to enter the exam hall post 1:30 p.m.
  • Candidates are required to bring the following documents to the exam hall, failing which, his/her candidature shall be cancelled:
    • 1. Print copy of NEET admit card 2019 (downloaded pdf)
    • 2. One passport size photograph (same as uploaded on the application form)
    • 3. A valid photo ID proof
    • 4. PWD (Persons with disability) certificate (if applicable)
  • No candidate should possess any item barred by the authorities and perceived to give an unfair advantage.
  • Candidates will not be allowed to leave the exam centre before the conclusion of the exam. Before exiting the exam hall, candidates are required to hand over the OMR (Optical Mark Recognition) sheets to the invigilator.
  • Beverages and eatables are not allowed in the exam hall. Candidates who have a medical condition will be allowed to carry eatables (fruits) only with prior intimation. Packaged food will not be allowed inside the exam hall.
  • Candidates are required to ensure that the test booklet contains the same number of pages as mentioned on its cover.

Dress code


Slippers and sandals 

Half-sleeve T-shirt or shirt


Doctor-prescribed lens/spectacles only

Kurti/top (half-sleeve)


Kada and Kirpan

Not allowed

Shoes, sandals with high heels

Full-sleeve shirt or T-shirt

Watch/sunglasses/bracelets/rings/chain/necklace (any ornament)

Hair clips/big rubber bands, etc.

Big buttons, brooch/badge T-shirts

Sari (married or unmarried)

Leggings, churidar

Cap, kurta pyjama

Last minute preparation tips for NEET 2019

If you are appearing in NEET 2019, you have most likely been studying all the topics in the syllabus thoroughly through the past few years. However, with less than a month left for the D-day, follow these tips for a confident and effective last-minute preparation:

  1. Revise by practising questions based on NEET exam pattern.
  2. Don’t begin learning new topics.
  3. Focus on important topics.
  4. Prepare a fresh list of important formulas, diagrams and graphs.
  5. Stay healthy by eating meals on time and avoiding all junk food.

Looking for expert tips and interesting articles on parenting? Subscribe now to our magazine. Connect with us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube