Is your toddler forever hooked onto his favourite game on your mobile? And, are you happy that it keeps him from running around and bringing down the house? Think again!
While it is well-established that radiation from mobile phones is harmful to humans, a littler-known fact is that it has a higher impact on children.
Why are children more sensitive?
“According to studies carried out by industry modellers in Switzerland and France, the bone marrow of a child’s head absorbs 10 times more radiation than that of an adult, while that of infants and toddlers will absorb even more,” says a report by Environmental Health Trust, a non-profit working on environmental and health issues.
This is primarily because the skull is much thinner and is still developing in a child. Also, there is much more fluid in a child’s brain unlike in an adult.
Another study conducted by Hugh Taylor, chief of obstetrics and gynaecology at Yale University, found that prenatal exposure significantly increased “hyperactive behaviour in offspring and altered brain chemistry”.
What are the dangers?
Studies suggest that an increase in mobile phone or any wireless device usage could increase the risk of brain tumour
World Health Organization (WHO) has categorised radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (like those associated with mobile phones and other wireless devices) as “possibly cancerous”
Studies conducted by experts at Dankook University College of Medicine in Korea have suggested a potential link between cell phone usage and symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children
What precautions can you take?
- Reduce, or if possible, avoid the habit of letting your children play with cell phones. Even when on flight mode, mobile phone batteries emit magnetic fields, which can be dangerous.
- Keep mobiles and other wireless devices away from your children’s sleep and play areas. Avoid leaving them on your bed.
- Avoid using them in cars or other closed spaces. Radiation tends to bounce back from the walls.
- Try to avoid Wi-Fi connections at home. Opt for fixed connections at home if possible. Do not place the Wi-Fi router in the bedroom and try to switch it off when not in use.
- Green vegetables and regular sleep can enhance DNA repair.