Popular English philosopher John Locke, in his work ‘An Essay Concerning Human Understanding’, stated that the mind of a newborn is like a clean slate without any content. Toddlers acquire knowledge about the world by accumulating information about different objects around them. The first learning experiences of a child, therefore, affects his physical and social-emotional development intensely. Hence, it is the duty of teachers to impart the right education to children from a tender age, so that they grow up to be responsible citizens of the world.
Psychologists claim that imparting early education to children between the ages of 3 and 5 is highly beneficial for their overall development. Preschools provide toddlers with a positive learning environment so that they can learn the basic life skills required to face the world with confidence. Here are the 13 benefits of imparting early childhood education that gives your toddler a headstart towards a happy and healthy future:
Benefits of pre-primary education
- Nurtures inquisitiveness: Toddlers are born with an inherent urge to understand the world around them. They have an active imagination and are always eager to discover new things, make new friends, and explore new environments. Early childhood education nurtures this inquisitiveness and imagination of your child so that they can become effective learners.
- Improves child’s concentration: Toddlers are curious and playful by nature; hence, they have a shorter attention span compared to adults. Early childhood education imparted by pre-primary schools helps boost concentration in children. It also encourages them to be good listeners, so that they can follow directions or do tasks on their own or participate actively in group activities.
- Boosts cognitive skills: Preschools play a key role in strengthening the cognitive skills of young minds. Since toddlers get the opportunity to engage in a variety of practical activities, the fun learning environment motivates them to solve problems, observe things closely, and ask questions to satiate their curiosity.
- Teaches diversity: The multicultural classroom environment in pre-primary schools teaches toddlers to embrace and respect diversity in cultures and opinions so that they become well-rounded individuals. It helps them understand the fact that every individual is unique in his or her own way.
- Boosts confidence: Early childhood education encourages your child to be confident in social set-ups. Pre-primary schools appreciate her every big and small achievement and enable her to perceive her talents and capabilities in a positive yet realistic way. This instills a sense of competence in her, thus, boosting her self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Makes a lifelong learner: Pre-primary education provides your toddlers with a fun environment that instills in them an eagerness to learn. This inspires your child to become a lifelong learner.
- Builds team spirit: In order to develop the social competence of your child, pre-primary classrooms use fun ways to encourage toddlers to work in a team. By inculcating team spirit in young minds, pre-primary teachers teach students how to work collaboratively in a group environment to achieve a shared goal. As a result, the child becomes a good listener and learns to respect the opinion of his team members so that the team can function without any disruption.
- Builds resilience: Pre-primary education encourages your child to become independent and tough in life so that she can deal with greater challenges in a resilient manner. The teachers provide her with a challenging environment so that she can find suitable solutions to problems and face difficulties without losing heart.
- Enhances social and emotional skills: Preschools train children to become socially and emotionally aware by regulating their behaviour and helping them create a personal identity. At the same time, preschools promote social interactions as your child gets the opportunity to develop friendships with her fellow classmates.
- Prepares for school: Pre-primary education plays a critical role in preparing your child for kindergarten and beyond. Social readiness and emotional preparedness combined with pre-reading / writing skills and a basic understanding of mathematical concepts help him succeed in kindergarten and beyond.
- Develops early math skills: Early childhood education promotes numeracy and early math skills of toddlers which later help them solve more complicated mathematical problems in high school.
- Encourages patience: Pre-primary schools provide your child with ample opportunities to learn the art of patience so that he can face challenging situations in life with persistence and fortitude.
- Teaches cooperation: Preschools teach your child the valuable skills of cooperation through classroom games, which involve sharing, following instructions and taking turns. Cooperation is an important life skill that helps her build relationships and get along with others under any situation.
In order to ensure the success of future generations, it is parents' responsibility to optimise the early years of their children’s education as it is the most powerful investment they can make towards ensuring a bright future for them.
The author is the co-founder of two preschools in Delhi (ELV and Wonderland), and a learning platform called Launchpad.
Hope you liked this article. To get expert tips and read interesting articles on a wide variety of parenting topics, subscribe now to our magazine.