Important Questions Parents Should Ask Their Child’s Class Teacher
Do you have concerns that you’d like to talk about with your child’s class teacher? Do you want to know exactly how he’s doing in class? Here is a list of questions you need to ask his class teacher.
By Leena Ghosh
The new academic session is in full swing and by now, your child has also settled into a routine. But, as parents, it’s essential that you keep communicating with your child’s teachers about her progress and behaviour throughout the year.
The role of the class teacher is essential in ensuring your child’s academic growth. From providing the right learning environment, to ensuring discipline, and monitoring his progress in class, academically and socially, the class teacher has a significant impact on his school year.
As a parent, it’s your responsibility to talk to the class teacher and understand how your child is coping at school. Here are some important questions you should ask your child’s class teacher:
Questions you need to ask his teacher
About your child’s academic skills
Reading skills: What are my child’s areas of weakness and strengths when it comes to reading comprehension, fluency and vocabulary?
Writing skills: Is my child a hesitant writer or takes to it confidently? How’s his progress in terms of handwriting and style?
Maths skills: What are the problem points when it comes to learning maths? How can I help her at home?
- How good is my child's retention and recall power?
- Does he have a problem in paying attention to one thing at a time? Is he able to focus and grasp concepts?
- Does my child take time in processing information? Is she able to relate to concepts without support?
- Is my child able to organise and explain his thoughts effectively?
About your child’s communication skills
- How frequently does my child participate in the class?
- Does my child share his thoughts and questions about different topics?
- Is my child able to communicate her thoughts effectively? Are you able to understand what she’s saying when she puts across her opinions?
- How can I help my child communicate better?
About your child’s social skills
- Does my child mingle with his classmates easily?
- How does my child handle conflicts with her friends?
- How does my child react when admonished?
- What could I do to improve my child’s social skills?
Other important questions
- Does my child show leadership skills?
- What can I do to make her take an interest in learning?
- What can I do to facilitate and support her learning at home?
- What talents have you observed in my child and how can I cultivate them?
- What’s one important ‘life lesson’ you’d like my child to learn by the end of this academic year?
You don’t have to wait for a parent teacher meeting to talk to your child’s teacher about your concerns regarding his education or behaviour. Focus on building a good parent-teacher partnership by accepting feedback about him graciously and always be open to a discussion about his progress.
More For You
More for you
Four Ways To Build A Strong Relationship W...
Do you wish you could have a better relationship with your child's teacher? The way forward is fo...
What Your Child's Teacher Wants You To Kno...
Your child spends most of his early life in school and there might be a few things about him that...
Hannah S Mathew
IPL 2019: Players Who Made Their Parents P...
The biggest event for Indian cricket, IPL 2019, is around the corner. You know all about the game...