Eating idlis has never been more fun. Make Idli Caterpillars with your child and watch him devour his own creation.
By Team ParentCircle
When idlis come in tiny, bite-sized portions, they are truly irresistible. Involve your child in the kitchen by getting him to fill the mini idli moulds. Once the idlis are steamed, they can be transformed into a plump caterpillar using little pieces of vegetables and other bits from the kitchen. Most importantly, use your imagination!
- ½ cup idli batter
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- A slice of red capsicum
- 1 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 2 sunflower seeds
- 2 small raisins
- 1 peanut half
- Have your child stir together the idli batter and grated carrot.
- Have him fill the make mini idli moulds with this coloured batter and steam.
- Once the idlis are cooked, have your child arrange the idlis on a plate in the shape of a caterpillar.
- Have him use the red capsicum slice to make the head of the caterpillar and the pomegranate arils to make its legs. Let him arrange the sunflower seeds as the antennae, raisins as eyes and the peanut half as the mouth of the caterpillar.
- Serve with coconut chutney.