How To Prepare For CMAT Exam
If your child is preparing for the CMAT, then these tips to prepare for CMAT exam can help him come up with a good preparation plan.
By Arun Sharma
Preparation is the key to success, and this applies to the CMAT exam as well. But what most aspirants are confused about is how to prepare for CMAT.
To prepare well, it is not enough to know the CMAT syllabus and CMAT exam pattern, a candidate should also have a good preparation plan.
Our article outlines how to prepare for CMAT — the topics that your child should focus on in each of the four sections of the CMAT exam and how to improve his understanding of these topics.
How to prepare for CMAT
CMAT 2021 preparation tips for Language comprehension
This is a comprehensive test of the English language. It includes questions from English grammar, jumbled paragraphs, tenses, reading comprehension and more. This is one of the most important sections of the exam. To prepare well for the CMAT Language comprehension exam, this is what a candidate should do:
- Read novels, short stories, magazines, journals and articles on various topics like current events, history, politics and economics; this helps improve the knowledge base as well as provides an understanding of the English language
- Begin thinking in English to process English words rapidly and converse about/discuss topics of interest with friends in English
- Use apps which help practise English grammar exercises and develop English vocabulary
- Identify topics which seem difficult and require more preparation; devote an extra hour to them every day
- Analyse errors and come up with ways to ensure they are not repeated
- Try to understand the ideas presented in a passage and critically analyse them to form an opinion and answer the questions
- Attempt mock tests and try to solve them within the stipulated time
- Revision is an important part of preparation; so, some time for revision every day should be set apart
CMAT 2021 preparation tips for Logical reasoning
Over the years, the complexities involving business management have increased. Nowadays, running a business requires doing various types of analyses. This requires good logical reasoning skills. To do well in CMAT logical reasoning exam, a candidate should:
- Make a habit of studying the questions carefully, at least twice
- Come up with different ways of finding the solution to a problem
- Remember how he found the solution to a particular type of problem
- Browse the Internet to learn shortcuts to solving analytical, verbal and non-verbal reasoning questions to save time
- Develop the habit of noting down at one place important pieces of data that need to be analysed
- Practise using reason and logic to find the answer instead of relying on assumptions
- Solve crosswords, puzzles and Sudoku to improve problem-solving skills
- Practise logical reasoning exercises daily, as learning to solve them quickly requires a lot of training
CMAT 2021 preparation tips for Quantitative ability and Data interpretation
Mathematical calculations play an important role in business management. So, it is necessary to test an MBA aspirant’s ability to assess data presented in tables, charts and graphs. To get a high score in this section, the aspirant should:
- Revise all the mathematical formulae learnt in school, especially those of arithmetic, algebra, and geometry
- Learn shortcuts to solve lengthy problems and do long calculations; also, he should learn advanced calculation techniques
- Come up with ways to simplify complex information or data
- Learn how to find and eliminate unnecessary data
- Practise breaking down a complex problem into smaller parts
- Develop the habit of looking at graphs, tables and charts carefully so as to not miss any data
- Pay more attention to modern maths and arithmetic; he should also practise problems from topics like Ratio and proportion, Percentages and Graphs like bar graphs and pie charts
- Solve question papers from previous years and attempt as many mock tests as possible
CMAT 2021 preparation tips for General awareness
Everyone preparing for MBA entrance tests pays more attention to the Language and Quantitative sections. However, the level of general knowledge a candidate has is also given weightage. So, there is a section for General awareness in the CMAT. While preparing for this section, a candidate must:
- Read newspapers, periodicals and yearbooks to be aware of what is going on in the world
- Note down any important piece of information that he comes across to revise later
- Pay attention to news about what is happening in the corporate world
- Gain knowledge about developments happening in the field of science and technology
- Read current affairs magazines and those related to the business world
- Get acquainted with the jargon or terms used in the business world
Preparing for any entrance exam is stressful and may get boring after a while. So, the candidate should keep switching the subjects he studies every day and keep reviewing his performance in mock tests. To know more about the CMAT exam, encourage your child to read our article on CMAT syllabus and exam pattern.
About the author:
Written by Arun Sharma on 29 April 2020.
The author was associated with the healthcare industry before becoming a full-time writer and editor. A doting father to two preteens, he believes in experiential learning for his children. Also, he loves mountain trekking and nature trips.
Looking for expert tips and interesting articles on parenting? Subscribe now to our magazine. Connect with us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
Join our Circles to share, discuss and learn from fellow parents and experts!
More For You
More for you
Challenges Of E-learning Posed By The Coro...
New challenges have emerged with our children switching to remote learning. Here are a few common...
Your Child's Friendship: To Interfere Or N...
Almost all parents want their children to make friends. However, not every one of their children’...
How to Decode Your Baby's Body Language
Communication helps us build and maintain relationships. Although babies aren’t able to communica...