How To Prepare For BITSAT Exam – 2020
Is your child gearing up to write BITSAT? Read how to prepare for Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English & Logical Reasoning, a list of important BITSAT books, and other useful BITSAT preparation tips.
By Dr Shyam Kumar • 13 min read
“Don't count the days, make the days count.” — Muhammad Ali
Knowing how to prepare for the BITSAT exam is very important for your child. With adequate preparation and practice, it is not impossible to achieve a 350+ score in the BITSAT exams.
The BITSAT is an annual computer-based entrance exam for admission to BE, B Pharm & MSc courses in the Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani campuses. The BITSAT exam is based on the NCERT syllabus and includes questions from the following subjects — Physics, Chemistry, Maths (or Biology), and English & Logical Reasoning.
To know about the BITSAT syllabus and question paper pattern, read:
Tips to prepare for the BITSAT
The BITSAT question paper is designed to test the speed, accuracy, time management skills and mental ability of the candidate. The BITSAT exam is comparatively easier than JEE Main.
Here are some important tips on how to get ready for the BITSAT exam.
- Make sure your child is thorough with the BITSAT exam syllabus, paper pattern and marking scheme even before he starts preparing for the BITSAT exam. Taking a printout of the BITSAT syllabus will be helpful for regular referencing.
- When preparing for a competitive exam like BITSAT, it is important to know which are the most important and high-scoring topics to study. For example, in Physics more questions are asked from Heat & Thermodynamics, Magnetic Effect of Current & Magnetism and Wave Motion. Similarly, in Chemistry, topics like Chemical Bonding, Biomolecules and Atomic Structure have more weightage in the question paper when compared to Electrochemistry and Chemical Thermodynamics. So, devote time accordingly when studying each subject.
- Having a paper solving strategy in place is very important. The candidate should approach the question paper in such a manner that he can solve the maximum number of questions in the least possible time. For example, solving English and Logical Reasoning questions in the beginning will help him gain some confidence. These are usually easier and take less time to complete.
- Most of the questions in BITSAT are formula related. The candidate needs to cover all the chapters to learn and revise as many formulae as possible. This is to ensure that he does not miss out any simple questions that can be solved using these formulae.
- Your child should try to improve her speed at solving the paper. For this she needs to practise solving as many BITSAT sample papers as she can. A good speed will help the candidate answer the extra 12 questions apart from the regular 150 questions as mentioned earlier to score bonus marks. Remember, only candidates who have attempted all the 150 questions are allowed to opt for the extra 12 questions.
- The candidate needs to practise working on the previous years’ BITSAT question papers and doing multiple mock tests.
- Reading from NCERT books is strongly recommended. Many questions are theory and concept-based in BITSAT. The focus should be on understanding the basic concepts and their applications rather than rote learning.
- Also the candidate should refer some of the important BITSAT books, prep guides and other study material to help with the preparation. Some of the best books for BITSAT are listed below under each subject.
Subject-wise BITSAT 2020 preparation tips
BITSAT tips for Physics
- The questions are a mixture of both theory-based parts and numericals. Unlike the JEE Main, most questions will be of direct application of formulae.
- The candidate should have a working knowledge of all the basic concepts to answer the Physics questions in BITSAT.
- Mechanics is very important and there will be more questions from this chapter. Also, the candidate should cover all portions that come under Electrostatics and Magnetism.
- Practising from JEE Main question paper of previous years and sample questions from BITSAT books available in the market is very important.
Important chapters in Physics with weightage
- Heat & Thermodynamics 10%
- Magnetic Effect of Current & Magnetism 9%
- Current Electricity 6%
- Wave Motion 6%
- Simple Harmonic Motion 5%
- Fluids 5%
- Electrostatics 5%
- Wave Optics 5%
- Work, Power & Energy 4%
- Ray Optics 4%
- Rotational Motion 4%
- Elasticity 4%
- Gravitation 3%
- Units, Dimension, Errors 3%
- Alternating Current 3%
BITSAT books for Physics
- NCERT books (classes 11 and 12)
- Concept of Physics by H C Verma
- Principles of Physics by Resnick, Halliday, and Walker
- Fundamental of Physics by V K Mehta
- Problems in General Physics by I E Irodov
- Understanding Physics series by D C Pandey
- GRB Optics & Modern Physics: Concepts of Physics by GC Agarwal
BITSAT tips for Chemistry
- A lot of questions asked in BITSAT from Chemistry are directly formulae based or a chemical reaction.
- In Physical Chemistry, the candidate should be thorough with all the formulae and know where to use which one. Majority of the questions are from Thermodynamics, Chemical Kinetics, Electrochemistry, Gaseous State and Chemical Equilibrium.
- For Inorganic Chemistry, the questions are primarily from Coordination Compound, Chemical bonding, Qualitative Analysis and Periodic Table. For this part, the candidate should learn the complete theory from NCERT books.
- The questions in Organic Chemistry are mostly nomenclature based. An important chapter to focus on is Biomolecules. Also, the candidate should be thorough with NCERT class 12 — Chapter 16, Chemistry in Daily Life to deal with questions related to Organic Chemistry. In addition, the candidate must learn use cases for name reactions well as there will be some questions related to these.
Important chapters in Chemistry with weightage
- Chemical Bonding 10%
- Carboxylic Acid & Its Derivatives 6%
- Atomic Structure 6%
- Biomolecules 6%
- Mole Concepts 6%
- p-block Elements 6%
- Electrochemistry 5%
- Chemical Thermodynamics 5%
- Alkanes, Alkenes & Alkynes 5%
- Chemical Equilibrium 4%
- s-block Elements 4%
- Solid State 4%
- General Organic Chemistry 4%
- Chemical Kinetics 3%
- Ionic Equilibrium 3%
BITSAT books for Chemistry
- NCERT Chemistry (classes 11 and 12)
- Organic Chemistry by O P Tandon
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J D Lee
- Organic Chemistry by Morrison Boyd
- Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations by R C Mukherjee
- Numerical Chemistry by P Bahadur
BITSAT tips for Maths
- Maths is a subject which requires a great deal of practice to improve speed and accuracy. The candidate should make a list of all the formulae, memorise and revise them regularly. The idea is to have the formulae on the fingertips.
- While practising, the candidate should set a time limit to solve a certain number of problems. He should try hard to bring down the time limit for solving the same number of problems at each attempt.
- On encountering a difficult problem, it is better to skip over to the next question to avoid wasting time. The question can be revisited after completing the remaining questions.
- He should go through the previous years’ question papers to understand the type of questions that are asked from each topic and prepare accordingly. He should also practise extensively using some of the BITSAT books for Maths that are suggested below.
Important topics in Maths with weightage
- Circles 11%
- Pair of Straight Lines 7%
- Straight Lines 7%
- Continuity & Differentiability 6%
- Vectors 6%
- Complex Numbers 4%
- Differential Equation 4%
- Binomial Theorem 4%
- Theory of Equation 4%
- Sets, Relations & Functions 4%
- Properties of Triangles 3%
- Probability 3%
- Matrices & Determinants 3%
- Trigonometric Equations 3%
- Application of Derivatives 3%
BITSAT books for Maths
- NCERT books (classes 11 and 12)
- Algebra (Overall Reference) by R D Sharma
- Mathematics MCQ by Asit Das Gupta
- Calculus by I A Maron
- Trigonometry by S L Loney (Arihant)
- Integral Calculus by Amit Aggarwal (Arihant)
BITSAT tips for English and Language Proficiency
- Candidates should not forget to focus on English to score some very easy marks. They should try not to lose any mark in this section.
- For comprehension-based questions, candidates should apply fast-reading strategies like scanning and skimming to identify specific keywords that could help in answering the questions. Also, they should practise regular reading to develop good reading skills and vocabulary.
- For word-based questions, candidates should make a list of words based on previous years' question papers and BITSAT sample papers. They should practise learning the meanings, synonyms and antonyms of such words.
- Grammar-based questions are generally less in BITSAT.
Important topics in English Proficiency with weightage
- Rearrangement of Jumbled Words 15%
- Sentence Completion 15%
- One Word Substitution 15%
- Tenses 3%
- Modals 3%
- Rules of Conjunctions 3%
- Prepositions 3%
BITSAT tips for Logical Reasoning
- The candidate must go through a lot of previous year’s mental ability questions to acquaint herself with various types of questions in the BITSAT paper.
- She should learn shortcut techniques and tricks to solve questions faster. She should also try using an elimination process to strike out the least probable solutions first to arrive at the answer.
- To solve tricky questions, the candidate should read the entire question carefully and try to make sense of it. She can avoid confusion by focussing on only the useful parts. She should try visualisation techniques such as tables or Venn diagrams to decode the information.
- Practice is important to develop the ability to solve different types of logical reasoning questions. The candidate should take as many mock tests as possible so that she is confident during the actual test.
Important topics in Logical Reasoning with weightage
- Figure Matrix 40%
- Figure Formation & Analysis 40%
- Analogy Test 20%
- Logical Deduction 10%
- Series Test Numerical & Alphabetical 10%
- Paper Folding & Cutting 7%
- Figure Completion Test 7%
- Detection of the Rule 5%
BITSAT books for English and Logical Reasoning
- Wren and Martin's English
- Guide to English & Logical Reasoning for BITSAT by Disha Experts
- The Pearson Complete Guide to the BITSAT (English)
- Master Mental Ability in 30 Days (NTSE, NSO, NCO, IMO)
BITSAT books for complete study of all the sections
- A Complete Success Package for BITSAT by Arihant Experts
- Comprehensive Guide to BITSAT by Disha Experts
- 12 Practice Papers BITSAT 2020 PB 8th Edition by G K P
With hard work and perseverance, your child can not only finish the 150 BITSAT questions within the time limit, but she can also attempt the bonus 12 questions to score high marks in the BITSAT.
Make sure that your child is ready to approach the BITSAT exam confidently and emerges successful in gaining admission into one of the country’s finest institutions.
About the author:
Written by Dr Shyam Kumar on 30 April 2020
The author holds a degree in Homoeopathy with an MBA in Hospital Management and has worked across multiple disciplines including healthcare and technology. As a nature lover, he attended the world's first underwater CEO's conference to combat marine pollution.
Looking for expert tips and interesting articles on parenting? Subscribe now to our magazine. Connect with us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
Join our Circles to share, discuss and learn from fellow parents and experts!
More For You
More for you
BITSAT Exam Syllabus And Paper Pattern — 2020
To crack the BITSAT 2020, your child should know the latest BITSAT exam syllabus, question paper ...
Dr Shyam Kumar • 42 min read
Interesting Facts About Bears For Kids
The sun bear is the smallest bear, the grizzly bear can stand up to 9 feet tall, the polar bear c...
Dr Shyam Kumar • 21 min read
Peacock Facts And Information For Kids
Here are some interesting peacock facts and information about our national bird’s physical featur...
Dr Shyam Kumar • 14 min read