Summer holidays are already upon us and your children need all the nutrition to keep their bodies cool and healthy, when they play outdoors in the scorching heat. Nature has bestowed us with a plethora of seasonal fruits and vegetables and many of these lend themselves to interesting recipes that are also packed with the right nutrients. What better time than to try them during the summer vacations?
It is the time of the year when children potter around the house and like helping in the kitchen. Make their holidays more fun with our simple and interesting recipes that can be easily assembled by the children with some help from parents.
Cheesy Chickpea Pinwheels
- 1 cup boiled and mashed chickpeas
- 4 tortillas
- ½ cup garlic and cheese spread
- ½ cup chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- A few toothpicks
- Spread the garlic and cheese spread over the tortillas evenly
- Add coriander leaves and salt to the chickpeas and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mashed chickpeas over the tortilla and sprinkle chopped spring onions
- Roll each tortilla like a spring roll and then trim the edges
- Cut out 1-inch pinwheels from them and secure the edges with toothpicks.
Corn Pancakes with Pineapple Salsa
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup corn meal
- ½ cup curd
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 tbsp melted butter or oil
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno
- 1/2 cup mixed red and yellow bell peppers (charred and chopped)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- To make the pancakes, sieve together both the flours, salt, baking soda and keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix the curd, milk, sugar, oil and corn kernels well.
- To this liquid, add the dry mix and give it a nice stir. Mix till everything is well combined.
- Heat a pan and grease with oil/butter. Then, pour a ladle full of batter and let it cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side till the pancake is golden in colour.
- For the salsa, roast bell peppers on a grill pan till charred and then chop roughly.
- In a bowl, mix pineapple, onion, peppers and coriander
- Add salt, pepper, cumin and lemon juice and mix well. Serve the pancakes hot along with the salsa.
No-Bake Honey Almond Granola
- ½ cup puffed Amaranth
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup almonds
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Dry roast the almonds in a heavy bottomed pan till they give out an aroma.
- Cool them a bit and grind to make almond butter. Grind till their oil is released, then add a teaspoon of any flavourless oil and some salt.
- Heat a pan and put almond butter into it. Add honey and melt them both together.
- Now, add rest of the ingredients except chocolate chips. Turn of the heat and mix it well.
- Line a tray with some baking parchment paper and pour the mixture over it. With your fingers or with the back of a spoon, smoothen the mixture to form a ½ inch thick slab.
- Then sprinkle the chocolate chips over it and push them inside a little. Put the tray in the fridge to cool for 3-4 hours. Once set, cut into squares.
- Store it in an airtight box; it keeps well up to two weeks.
Chocolate Almond Bites
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup fine sugar/powdered jaggery
- 1 tsp melted butter
- ¼ cup melted chocolate
- Dry roast the almonds till they are fragrant
- Pulse them in a mixer till they start releasing their oils and then add sugar and butter to it, pulse again for 2 minutes
- Take out from the mixer jar and form small bite-sized balls from them.
- Dip in melted chocolate and let it set for few minutes. To increase the fun element, kids can even decorate these with sugar sprinklers which are easily available in market.
Cheese and Fruit Skewers
- 10 processed cheese cubes as required
- 1 cup of grapes
- ½ diced melons
- ½ cup diced kiwis
- ½ cup diced mangoes
- Some melted chocolate
- A few wooden skewer sticks
- Let the kids assemble their favourite fruits and cheese in the order they like on the skewer sticks.
- Once the skewers are done, assemble them on the serving platter and then drizzle some melted chocolate over them.
- A lip-smacking quick snack is ready for your kids