Exotic Walnut Recipes Made Exclusively By A Renowned Chef
Want to include the goodness of walnuts in your everyday meals? Try these exquisitely easy recipes from celebrity chef Sabyasachi Gorai and enjoy the 'king of nuts' with your family
By Chef Sabyasachi Gorai
As the summer heat is on the wane and the monsoon comes calling, isn't it tempting to roast some nuts to snack on while you savour the pitter-patter of the rain? Nuts are nutrient powerhouses and it is a good idea to serve up a mix of nuts when your children come back hungry from school. Or better still, give your family an energy boost with a nutty evening snack.
One nut that is bursting with nutrients and can also be easily incorporated into both snacks and main dishes is the walnut. Known as the 'king of nuts', walnuts provide you with good fats, vitamins and minerals. Not only do these add flavour and crunch to all sorts of dishes, they are also considered the healthiest of nuts. Walnuts are high in antioxidants and are the only nuts that provide an excellent source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids (2.5 grams of ALA/oz.). A handful of walnuts also offers four grams of protein along with two grams of fibre.
So, be it a simple snack party or sudden hunger pangs, these walnut-based recipes are soon going to be firm favourites among your family members! Put on your aprons and start your walnut cooking adventure with recipes created exclusively by celebrity Chef Sabyasachi Gorai.
1. Sweet Potato Toast with California Walnut Spread
- 100 g walnuts, toasted
- 2 lumps of stem ginger
- 30 ml agave syrup
- 20 ml water
- 1 large, round sweet potato
- Fruit to top (such as sliced banana, blueberries, pomegranate seeds or sliced strawberries)
- Place walnuts in a food processor with the stem ginger, agave syrup and water, and whizz until smooth.
- Slice the potato into 1/2 cm thick slices, place into a toaster and toast on the highest setting until the sweet potato is soft and tinged brown.
- Spread the walnut mixture over the sweet potato slices and top with your favourite fruit.
2. Walnut Pesto and Tomato Bruschetta
For the pesto:
- 3/4 cup California walnuts
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can petite-cut diced tomatoes, drained
- Few baguette slices
- Place walnuts and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in oil and cheese.
- Stir together all tomato topping ingredients in a medium bowl. (Both mixtures may be prepared several hours ahead and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator, until ready to serve.)
- To assemble, spread a small amount of walnut pesto on baguette slices, then top with the tomato mixture. Makes 16 appetiser servings.
3. Chilled Walnut and Cucumber Sunshine Soup
For the soup:
- 400 g cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Small bunch of tarragon
- Couple of sprigs of mint
- Small bunch of basil
- 100 g California walnuts
- 220 g Greek yoghurt
- 30 ml lemon juice (plus a little extra)
- 70 ml extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt and pepper
For the garnish:
- 8 ice cubes
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 50 g California walnuts, toasted
- Mixed herbs
- Salad leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients for the soup into a blender and blitz until smooth. Season with the salt and pepper, adding a little more lemon juice if you like.
- Pour the soup into four bowls and garnish with your choice of fresh herbs and leaves, sliced radishes, toasted walnuts and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Pop one or two ice cubes in each bowl to keep the soup super chilled.
The author is a well-known Delhi-based chef.
More For You
More for you
5 Super-Quick Summer Dessert Recipes for Kids
Want to put together a filling sweet treat for your little one but have no time or patience to ba...
Savoury Treats For The Christmas Season
It's holiday time! A growling tummy in the midst of family fun is often silenced with a quick jun...
Unique Recipes For One Pot Meals
Guests coming over and you are hassled about cooking many dishes? Want to surprise family with a ...
Chef Sabyasachi Gorai