Easy And Healthy Baked Chips Recipes
Are you looking for a light, oil-free and crunchy snack for your kids to munch on? Let's take a step towards healthy snacking with these easy baked chips recipes from Chef Sabyasachi Gorai!
By Team ParentCircle
How we loathe those unhealthy chips that come in packets; the ones our kids are addicted to, and simply can't do without! Well now, movies or picnics, your kids can munch on these crispy treats, without you having to feel a hint of guilt! Wondering how? Ta-da! Homemade baked chips is your answer! These are probably the best, simple and quick snack option for your hungry little ones. Ever imagined chips made from sweet potato, beetroot, walnuts, chia seeds and kale? And chips that are baked instead of fried? Well, chef Sabyasachi Gorai, a Delhi-based culinary expert, brings to you some easy and healthy baked chips recipes that can be dished out in no time from the comfort of your home.
All you must do is choose some healthy veggies and follow some simple steps from the chef, to make some crunchy, healthy and flavourful homemade chips to delight your kids. These are perfect for an evening snack at home, or even a tea party with friends and family over. Let's get right to some unique and exotic recipes!
Recipe for sweet potato chips with walnuts and beetroot pâté
Sweet Potato Chips:
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- Salt to taste
Walnuts and Beet Pâté:
- 2 medium beetroots, boiled
- 50g walnut halves
- 1 garlic clove
- 20ml lemon juice
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and using a mandolin slicer cut them into thin slices. Place them in an oven tray, sprinkle salt over them and bake for 10 minutes at 200°C.
2. Take the tray out, turn the chips upside down and bake for another 10 minutes. Let them cool.
3. Prior to baking the chips, soak walnuts in water for an hour and then drain the water.
4. Cut the boiled beetroots cut in quarters.
5. In a blender, put the beetroots, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and the extra virgin olive oil, and blend it until smooth.
6. Take out in a bowl and serve the walnuts and beetroot pâté with sweet potato chips.
Recipe for walnuts and chia seed crisps
- 100g oats
- 25g chia seeds
- 100g walnuts halves
- 10g coconut oil
- 50g honey
- 35g water
- 40g coconut shreds
- 5g sugar
- 100g mashed pumpkin and berries(for decoration)
1. Mix oats, chia seeds and walnuts in a bowl. Add coconut oil, honey, water and coconut shreds to this and stir well.
2. Pour mixed crisp ingredients on a baking paper, cover with another baking paper, and roll it with a rolling pin for 2-3 minutes. Remove the cover and bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes. Once done, break into medium sized pieces and set aside.
3. Add some sugar and coconut shreds to mashed pumpkin, stir-fry and set aside.
4. Decorate with mashed pumpkin and berries and serve.
How to make cheesy walnut kale chips
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 75ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Tear bite-sized pieces of kale leaves and remove the ribs. Wash the leaves, dry thoroughly and set aside.
3. Combine walnuts, cheddar cheese, dijon mustard and water in a food processor and pulse into a paste.
4. Transfer the paste into a large mixing bowl and add kale leaves. Toss them to coat evenly. Remove or spread out any large clumps from the leaves.
( Note: Do not apply too much walnut mixture on the kale leaves as it will prevent even drying.)
5. On a parchment lined baking tray, place a single layer of kale leaves a finger width apart.
6. Bake one sheet at a time in the centre oven rack for 15 to 20 minutes until crisp.
(Note: Do not let the chips turn brown as they will taste bitter.)
7. The chips can be kept in an airtight container for up to one week.
Homemade, vegan and gluten-free walnut nachos with guacamole
- 140g maize flour
- 120g sunflower seeds
- 20g walnuts
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 125ml of water
- 2 avocados
- 1 medium tomato
- ½ onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2. Chop sunflower seeds and walnuts.
3. Put all the ingredients of the nachos in a big bowl and mix them well with a wooden spoon. Add oil and combine it. Add water little by little while mixing until it forms a dough. If it’s wet, continue mixing until it gets dry.
4. Divide the dough into two balls and place one of them between two baking sheets. Using a rolling pin, extend the dough until it has a thickness of 2mm and mark with a knife the lines to break or separate them.
5. Remove the baking sheet off the top of the dough and place them in an oven tray. Bake for about 10 minutes or until it turns golden. Let it cool and break into pieces. Repeat the same process with the other ball.
1. Cut the tomato and onion in little cubes.
2. Cut avocados and scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Using a fork or a wooden spoon, smash and pour lemon juice over it.
3. Add tomato, onion, salt, cayenne and coriander to this and mix it until smooth.
4. Serve it with the walnut nachos.
How To Make Sweet Potato Toast/Chips With Walnut Spread
- 100g roasted walnuts
- 2 stems fresh ginger
- 30ml agave syrup
- 20ml water
- 1 large sweet potato
- Fruits to decorate (sliced banana, blueberries, strawberries, pomegranate seeds)
1. Place walnuts in a food processor along with the ginger, the agave syrup, water and process until you get a smooth cream.
2. Cut the sweet potato into ½cm slices and place them in the toaster. Toast at full power until they are done and lightly toasted.
3. Spread a bit of the mixture on each slice and top with some fresh fruits.
Let these scrumptious recipes be a little hop towards a healthy lifestyle. Pick out your best veggies and get them baking!
More For You
More for you
Children’s Favourite Foods Predicted To Go...
Does your daughter love chocolates? Does your son demand a banana for breakfast every day? Unfort...
CBSE Maths Exam Tips From An Expert
CBSE Board Exams are here and the Maths exam is just round the corner. Anshul Tomar, a Math exper...
Top 10 Hilarious Parenting Moments
Parenting involves a lot of responsibilities, but children can also create some very funny and me...