There are various things to be kept in mind while choosing the perfect school or institution for your child. There are also additional responsibilities that one needs to take up personally as a parent, in the best interest of their child. It’s important to have the right balance between your work, your personal life, your child and clear communication with the school / institution.
Here are some useful points to be kept in mind:
- Faculty specialisation: When a parent is handing over their young child to a teacher or care-taker, it is important that the adult has skills and expertise to take care of the young one. Teachers who are specialised in teaching the young have more patience, are calmer and will understand each child individually.
- The lesser, the better: When it comes to preliminary education, importance should be stressed on the number of students per teacher. With young children having lesser understanding, the need for personal attention as well as an extra push to learn things is required. Thus, the smaller the group of children per teacher, the better the output of learning.
- Consistency is the key: When children are young, they tend to feel safer with people who they know and are accustomed to. It is crucial that a school’s faculty is consistent during the initial years of a child’s schooling. With consistency in faculty, there would be increased trust in the mind of a child as well as parents.
- The learning hub: Children learn through school and the way things are taught to them. Education in primary standards should be a mixed bag filled with lots of choices, a variety of options in things to learn and subjects to choose from. The liberty to let the child choose what he wants to learn, as opposed to what he should learn, should be the mantra of schools.
- All work, no play: Playing is one of the most important stages in childhood. It is extremely important for every kid to be given the time to play, make friends and learn through the informal process. Every preliminary school must have more time dedicated to letting kids play and a few hours of formal teaching. Considering the limited power in children to concentrate, it is useful to let them learn through ways which interest them rather than imposing learning through formal methods.
- The parent–teacher relationship: Parents' job does not end when they admit their kids into a school and hand them over to the teacher concerned. It is essential for parents to also develop a relationship with the teacher, which would help them know their kid in other interesting ways. On the other hand, it is very helpful when schools hold programs and sessions where they discuss the progress of a child with the parent and take in suggestions where the school could help or support the child in any form.
- Regular revamping in program methods: With newer technologies coming into play, schools should look at adopting the latest and newest forms of teaching methods. It is vital for kids of today’s generation to be kept abreast of any and everything around them.
With due importance to the points stated above, there are many other general considerations that parents should keep in mind. Choosing the perfect school or institution for your child is very important. However, the basic needs and requirements of a child are to be noted and fulfilled right from home in order to boost development and encourage right behaviour.
Some things that parents need to consider are:
- Be prepared, like your child: It is crucial for parents to be prepared as much as their kid is. Seeing your kid transform from a baby to a toddler and then to a school-going kid can make you get emotional. Thus, parents need to be strong and mentally prepared to send their child to school.
- Trust the institution: Parents will always be protective of their child, but they need to understand and have trust in the institution/school. Being over protective wouldn’t help or contribute to the child’s development. One needs to let go of the kid to let her make mistakes and learn.
- Gift your time: The most precious gift you can give your child is your time. It is very important to spend as much time with your kid as possible, especially during the growing years. Open communication, showing support and taking interest in their strong and weak areas makes the child feel positive and encouraged.
- Your kid, your priority: Parents should remember that once they have a child in their lives, the kid is their responsibility. Managing time and funds in respect to your child's needs is crucial.
Being a parent is one of the most difficult jobs in the world, but one of the most beautiful as well. It is not easy to always do the correct thing and every parent makes mistakes along the way. However, the secret to being a successful parent is learning from the mistakes and trying to give your best shot!
Looking for expert tips and interesting articles on parenting? Subscribe now to our magazine. Connect with us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube