Children’s Day Special Lunchbox Menu Ideas For Your Child
Want to do something special for your child this Children’s Day? Get creative and pack a colourful lunch or snack for your little one. After all, what is a celebration without yummy food!
By Sharmilee Jayaprakash
All parents want their child to always eat healthy but unfortunately, that does not usually happen. For, children tend to mostly crave what is eye catching, in terms of food. And yes, that habit does sometimes tend to have unhealthy consequences!
But this Children’s Day, use some creativity to transform your child's lunch or snack box. Let your child celebrate her special day, healthfully and colourfully!
Here are some creative lunch box ideas:
Lunchbox menu 1: Vegetable bread upma
Preparation Time:15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- 6 bread slices
- 1 large-sized onion, chopped lengthwise
- 3 tbsp sweet corn
- 1 medium-sized carrot, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp green peas
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ½ tbsp tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera
- A small sprig of curry leaves
- 1 green chilli, slit
- Cut the bread slices into bite-sized squares and set aside. Pressure cook sweet corn, peas and carrot with very little water. Set aside without draining the water.
- In a pan, heat oil; add the items for tempering and sauté till the mustard seeds splutter. Add onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the cooked vegetables along with the water. Sauté for 2 mins and let sit till the water evaporates completely.
- Add turmeric powder and pepper powder, and toss.
- Add tomato sauce and stir. Add salt to taste.
- Finally, add the bread pieces and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
Tip: You can choose vegetables depending on your kid's liking and preference. You can even skip the veggies and add just onion and capsicum. But, I recommend the addition of veggies as it makes the upma filling and wholesome.
Lunchbox menu 2: Methi thepla
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ¾ cup fresh methi leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp besan flour
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ¾ tsp jeera (cumin) powder
- Cumin seeds
- In a pan, sauté the methi leaves until they shrink and reduce in volume.
- In a bowl, mix wheat flour, besan flour, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, jeera (cumin)powder, cumin seeds, curd, oil and required amount of salt.
- Add the sautéed methi leaves to the above mixture. Add water little by little and combine into a soft pliable dough that is of the consistency of roti dough. Cover and leave aside for 15-30 minutes.
- Make lemon-sized balls and roll into thin rotis. Cook the rotis on a tawa till brown spots appear on both sides.
- Serve hot with onion raita/pickle.
Lunchbox menu 3: Chapathi noodles
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 4 chapathis
- 1 large-sized onion
- ¼ cup cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 3 capsicums
- 5 pods of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Chop vegetables lengthwise, uniformly and keep aside.
- Stack the chapathis and cut into four parts. Cut each quarter into two. Then, cut thin strips, lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and garlic and sauté until browned. Now, add carrot and cabbage; sauté till well-cooked. Then, add capsicum and sauté for a minute.
- Add soya sauce, tomato sauce and pepper powder, and mix well. Add salt to taste. Now, add the chapathi strips and toss. Let simmer for 2 minutes and serve.
The author Sharmilee Jayaprakash is a food and photo blogger from Coimbatore.
Photo credit: Keerthana Shanthi
More For You
More for you
Bento Box Lunch Ideas That Appeal To Your ...
Do you find school lunches brought back unopened? Worry not. Here’s a collection of creative idea...
60 Fun Things To Do With Young Children
If you ever thought connecting with your child (4-9 years) is not easy, as they are busy forming ...
Children's Day Special: Jazz Up Your Child...
Want to make Children's Day super special for your child? How about looking up some delightful de...