On a hot summer day, swimming is a great way to keep your kids cool, while fostering a healthy physical activity. Swimming classes on your mind? Here’s a quick guide to make the right splash!
By Vidya Nesarikar
When the Bangalore fans and coolers are not enough to beat the sweltering heat and plump yellow-orange mangoes make their yearly debut in the market, you know summer is here. Amidst the scurry of activities to stay cool, healthy and learn something during the summer – swimming classes are one that meet all three criteria.
Apart from being a recreational sport, swimming is a great exercise for young and old, and also a life skill, which is best learnt when one is young.
As Jaisimha Haldodderi, an AUSTSWIM (Australia's national organisation for the teaching of swimming and water safety), certified coach and founder of SwimMatrix Academy in Bangalore points outs, “The teaching methadology, a certified coach would use, is to approach swimming classes not just as a recreation sport, but to teach floating, survival and rescue techniques.“
The earlier the better! Though infants and toddlers begin to naturally kick their legs in water as an instinct, you still would need trained coaches for this. Typically, around 5 to 6 years is the right age for children to start learning to swim.
The first month would involve trying to make children lose the fear of water and enjoy being in water, followed by some basic movements. By the second month, the child should be able to pick up at least two styles of swimming, namely the freestyle and the backstroke. Thereafter, it is the interest, skill and dedication that children demonstrate that will help them master swimming, which comes with a number of health benefits for children.
While proximity to one’s residence is a definite trump card while picking a summer swimming class, There are few other things to look out for. One is whether the coach is certified to teach. AUSTSWIM and ASCA (American Swimming Coaches Association) are certifications that swimming coaches have these days. So, a quick check on that would be great. The number of children in any batch is another factor while looking for a swimming class. The lesser the number of children in a batch, the more attention they would get from the trainers.
To begin, children can start learning to swim in a 15-20 metre length pool with a depth of 4-5 feet. After some time, they can move on to a 25 metre pool to improve the strokes they have learnt. Finally, they can graduate to a 50 metre or Olympic size pool. Always ensure basic safety and cleanliness. Temperature controlled pools are a nice added touch.
Swimming classes to take your child in Bangalore
1. Basavanagudi Aquatic Centre: Opened in 1986, this Olympic-size pool has seen many a young swimmer turn into international and award-winning swimmers. Tucked in one of the quieter parts of Bangalore and with quick access to the metro station, it is a great option for those residing in South Bangalore.
Address: Corporation Swimming Pool, Pampamahakavi Road Sankarapuram, Basavanagudi, Bangalore.
Phone: 080-26916696 / 080-2661 2675
1: 1 April to 28 April 2019
2: 29 April to 26 May 2019
Timings: 9:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, 4:30 p.m.
Fees: Rs. 4000 (approximately)
2. Nisha Millet Swimming Academy: Founded by Arjuna Awardee Nisha Millet, one of the most famous names in Indian swimming, this swimming academy has trained over 12,000 swimmers in all age groups.
It is one of the academies to have AUSTSWIM certified coaches. The academy has centres across the city in places like Domlur, Koramangala, Hennur, Ulsoor, Malleswaram, Museum Road, Whitefield, Rajajinagar and Old Airport Road). The highlight – the pool at all the centres are temperature controlled.
Address: 22 Museum Road, Bangalore
Phone: +919845398443 / 098453 98443 ext. 2
Fees: Rs 4,999 - Rs 7080*
*Dates, fees and timings varies from centre to centre
3. Nettakallappa Aquatic Center: The Nettakallappa Aquatic Center (NAC) has a 50-metre eight-lane pool and a 25-metre pool with anti-wave lanes besides a 5x10 metres toddler pool. They have batches throughout the day and it is a popular popular swimming coaching destination. They lay emphasis on making swim fun. Batches fill up real fast at this centre. All coaches and life guards are Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certified and senior coaches have certificates from the American Swimming Coaches Association (ASCA).
Address: 47/1/40, Uttarahalli Main Rd, Brindavan Layout, Padmanabhanagar, Bangalore
Phone: 080-26393977 / 080 4097 6591
Batches: 6:00 a.m., 7:00 a.m., 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 .pm., 4:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m.
4. Dolphin Aquatics: This swimming academy is now part of the renowned Padukone Dravid Centre for Sports Excellence. If you want to train your child for competitive swimming, this is probably one of the best options. Many of the international and national swimmers train here. Their vision is to create an environment where champions are inevitable in their sport and life in general. They are equipped with an Olympic Size 50 m pool, 10 lane Heated Pool and 20 m x 10 m Heated Indoor Pool.
Address: Padukone-Dravid Center for Sports Excellence Betahalasuru Next to Stone Hill International School, Bangalore
Weekday Summer Camp-1
Monday to Friday, 1 April 2019 to 19 April 2019, 15 Classes
Weekday Summer Camp-2
Monday to Friday, 22 April 2019 to 10 May 2019, 15 Classes
Weekday Summer Camp-3
Monday to Friday, 13 May 2019 to 31 May 2019, 15 Classes
Weekday Summer Camp-4
Monday to Friday, 3 June 2019 to 21 June 2019, 15 Classes
Fees: Rs. 5000 plus GST
5. Ray Centre: Ray Center has two branches, the one in Wilson Garden is equipped with 50-meter swimming pool and a warm up pool. The centre in J P Nagar has an indoor heated pool. They cater to all types of learning programs with extended focus on competitive preparation. They follow the ‘Learn to Swim’ pedagogy under the ASCA (American Swimming Coaches Association). The head coach is a level 5 ASCA certified coach with several instructors who are well-equipped with the skills for the job, having graduated from a rigorous course to become certified in teaching swimming lessons. They also cater to differently-abled children.
Address: J P Nagar branch: 546, 1st Cross, Royal County Phase 1, JP Nagar, 8th Phase, Bangalore
Wilson Garden: 9th main road, Near KJ School, Lakkasandra Extension, Wilson Garden, Bangalore
Phone: 7022000222 / 9108032740
Batches: Batches through the day, check website for more details.
Fees: Rs. 3600 for 18 sessions
So, there you go! The listing of the best swimming classes in Bangalore. Pick one that works for you and get your kids swimming this summer!
Does your child know how to swim? It is an essential life skill that can benefit his health and a...
Knowing how to swim is an essential life skill for every child. If your little one is keen on swi...
They are entertaining, informative, and screen-free! Podcasts for children can be your new best f...