Are you worried about your yellowing teeth? Do you want white teeth? Read on to know how you can get your pearly whites back by following these simple natural remedies.
By Monali Bordoloi
13-year-old Samyukta Hedge gets conscious whenever she smiles as she is afraid it will expose her yellow teeth. Seeing this, her mother suggests Samyukta to try some home remedies to whiten her teeth naturally.
Like Samyukta, many of us have yellowish teeth. When we have a build-up of staining compound over our teeth, our teeth looks yellowish and dull. Some food also reacts with the outer layer of the teeth, enamel and contributes to them becoming yellow. You can visit your dentist for whitening. But if you want to avoid chemicals, try out some home remedies to whiten your teeth gradually.
1. Baking Soda: Baking soda is a natural whitening agent. It can scrub away build-up from the surface of the teeth.
How to do it: Mix some baking soda with water or lime juice, make it into a paste. Now, dip your brush in the paste and brush your teeth as usual. Use it on alternate days, for at least two months to see better results. After that, use it just once a week, as prolonged use of baking soda is not good for the teeth.
2. Coconut oil pulling: It is an ancient Ayurveda method, prescribed for better oral hygiene. You can use other oils like sesame oil for this. However, pure coconut oil is suggested as it is good for whitening.
How to do it: Take one tablespoon of oil in your mouth and swish it in the mouth for 20 minutes. (If you want, you can start with two teaspoons of oil and swish it for five minutes.) Then, rinse with either warm plain water or salted water.
3. Banana peels: Ripe bananas have minerals like potassium, magnesium, and manganese. These minerals are very good to remove stains and can make your teeth whiter.
How to do it: Peel a ripe banana, tear a small piece from that peel and rub it off on the yellowish teeth. Once, you are done, brush your teeth.
4. Lemon peel: You can use lemon peel powder to whiten your teeth. It is known to have whitening properties. You can also try orange peel instead of lemon peel.
How to do it: Dry lemon peels and make a powder out of it. Rub some lemon peel powder on the surface of your teeth to remove the stains. Or, you can put a pinch of this powder over your regular toothpaste.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is considered very good to remove yellowish tinge as it has antibacterial properties.
How to do it: Rinse your mouth for five minutes with apple cider vinegar to remove plaque build-up.
6. Strawberries: The malic and citric acid present in strawberries is a natural emulsifier. It helps remove stains and plaque from the surface of the teeth.
How to do it: Take three-four ripe strawberries in a utensil, mash or grind to make a paste. Add half a teaspoon of baking soda to make your whitening toothpaste. Use this paste few times every week. A longer period of use will give better results. You can also use this paste with a fluoride-based toothpaste. Rinse after use as tiny seeds of strawberry can get caught in your teeth.
7. Fruits and vegetables: Apart from a host of other benefits, eat fruits and vegetables to keep your teeth clean and healthy. Some fruits and vegetables act as a cleaning agent because they help scrap the surface of the teeth and keep plaque away.
How to do it: Chew crunchy, raw fruits and vegetables as it will help in removing stains and plaque away.
Do you want to teach oral hygiene to your child? Click here to know more.
Word of caution: Both baking soda and apple cider vinegar should not be used daily for whitening teeth, as overuse can erode the enamel of the teeth.
If you follow the steps given below, you can prevent getting stains.
Hope you liked this article. To get expert tips and read interesting articles on a wide variety of parenting topics, Subscribe Now to our magazine.
Do you want your baby’s name to stand out? Take some cues from these celebrity parents who have g...
Does your baby bite you while breastfeeding? Here are 5 tips to work around the issue and continu...
Smoking is one of the leading causes of deaths around the world. Every year, the number of smoker...