6 Top DIY Ideas To Organise Your Kitchen
Are you one of the messy kitchen queens? Pile of unclean dishes, difficulty in arranging the spice section? Name your worry, we can stash it out and make your kitchen a culinary paradise again!
By Sarika Chuni
The kitchen is definitely the heart and soul of our home. We spend most of our lives in it, either cooking meals for ourselves or for our loved ones. It’s no surprise that we would like this space organised and well-planned.
But, it isn’t always the case. Often, in the middle of cooking, we are left rummaging through the cupboards trying to find that big ladle we need. The pristine kitchen spaces in lifestyle magazines seem like wishful thinking from the chaos of our cluttered kitchen.
However, you don’t need to long for those picture-perfect kitchens wistfully anymore. Here are some awesome DIY ideas to organise your kitchen space and turn it into your own personal haven.
1. DIY drawer utensil organiser
- Old cardboard packing boxes/plastic containers or wooden boxes
- Leftover pieces of fabric, glue gun/fabric glue
Step 1: Add your own feminine touch to your cutlery drawer by reusing packing boxes to store your cutlery. Measure and cut the fabric so that it covers the box.
Step 2: Glue the fabric using a glue gun or fabric glue. This will not only look pretty but also strengthen the boxes.
2. Magnetic steel containers
- Small Plastic Containers/Steel Containers
- Magnetic adhesive sheet
- Spray paint or acrylic paint (if desired)
Step 1: You can spray paint the tins or label the plastic containers based on your choice.
Step 2: Cut out the magnetic strips with a slightly smaller diameter than the bottom of your container and stick it to the bottom as shown in the picture.
Step 3: Attach these containers to the side of your fridge. These are great to store dry fruits, small snacks and little bits and bobs around the kitchen.
3. Magazine holder to store aluminium foil and other kitchen rolls
- Magazine Holder
- Hooks or screws
Step 1: Attach the magazine holder to the inside of a kitchen cupboard using hooks or screw the magazine holder in place.
Step 2: Use it to store all your kitchen rolls in one place.
4. Storage space under the sink
- Curtain Rod
- Curtain rod holder
Step 1: Add a curtain rod under your sink using screws and a screwdriver.
Step 2: Hang the cleaning bottles using their spray nozzle and make more room for other items on the cupboard floor.
Alternatively, you can also hang baskets using the support of the curtain rod, and use that to place cleaners and other bottles/cleaning tools which don’t have a spray nozzle to hang them with.
5. Use the empty space under the shelves
- An under the shelf basket purchased from a home improvement store
Step 1: Hang the basket under your shelf and use it to store small items such as coffee cups.
Step 2: You can also hang hooks off the basket and use them to hang items such as wooden ladles, measuring cups, etc.
Key kitchen organisation tips
It is quite common to have small kitchens in our modern day homes. So we have to make the most of the space we have. Here are some very important tips to make your kitchen area spacious and user-friendly.
1. Organise: When you have a small kitchen, you need to get creative and put any wasted wall space to good use. Look for spaces above, below or inside your kitchen cabinets. This might mean hanging spices on an open wall or using the inside of your cabinet door to store your sponges.
2. Declutter: As the organisation guru Marie Kondo explains in the Japanese Konmari method of decluttering, fill your kitchen with items that inspire joy. Remove items that are never used. Use light colours and wire racks: Using wire racks/wicker baskets instead of heavy wood and dark colours makes the kitchen appear bigger than it is.
No matter how big or small your kitchen is, staying organised can be a challenge given the number of appliances and used by us these days. However, you can make your life so much easier with a bit of clever planning, smart upgrades, and thoughtfulness. So what are you waiting for? Take inspiration from these DIY ideas, upcycle items lying around your house and organise the kitchen of your dreams!
More For You
More for you
10 Things To Consider Before Buying Furnit...
The right pieces of furniture can totally transform your home. But are these functional, within y...
How To Talk To Babies
Excited to hear your baby start talking her first words? Find out how ‘parentese’ helps babies l...
10 Ways To Digitally Empower Your Child
Here are some essential digital skills your teen should equip himself with before he joins college.