Have you checked your child’s general knowledge quotient recently? Here are 50 questions to test and improve his general knowledge.
By Jasmine Kaur
Because of increasing academic pressure, children, nowadays, often limit their learning to what is given in their textbooks. While this helps them secure good marks in exams, it leaves them unaware of what's happening in the world they live in. Not a good situation for children who would need to take charge of the world a few years from now.
So, it is imperative that we help our children catch up with current affairs and the goings-on in the world. To help you in this endeavour, we have come up with a list of 50 questions related to various subjects. Here they are.
1. Who was the first law minister of independent India?
Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
2. Who opened the first school for girls in India?
3. Who was the first Indian woman to become a pilot?
Captain Prem Mathur
4. Who was the first Indian to become the president of the UN General Assembly?
Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit
5. Which language was thought to be spoken by Buddha?
6. Who is known as the missile woman of India?
7. In which century did the use of the Charkha (spinning wheel) become common in India?
14th Century AD
8. Who was the first Indian woman to win the Ashoka Chakra?
9. In which year did the massacre of Jallianwala Bagh occur?
10. How many years did it take to build the Taj Mahal?
11. Who was the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Olympics?
12. Who is the first Indian to win a Nobel Prize?
13. What is the name of the oldest known civilisation found in the Indian subcontinent?
Indus Valley Civilisation
14. Who is the first Indian woman to become a botanist? This person also made sugarcanes taste sweeter.
15. How many bones does a human adult have?
16. In which country is the Global Seed Vault located?
17. Apart from Homo Sapiens, which are the other two species under the genus 'Homo'?
Homo habilis and Homo erectus
18. Why does the Red Sea’s water sometimes turn red?
The sea is sometimes filled with the blooms of the algae Trichodesmium Erythraeum. When they die, the water becomes reddish brown. It is also known as ‘sea sawdust’.
19. Which are the easily available sources of Vitamin B12?
Milk, eggs, fish, nuts, legumes, red meat, etc.
20. Which gases are responsible for global warming?
Carbon dioxide, methane, fluorinated gases (F-gases) and nitrous oxide
21. Who designed the periodic table?
22. What is used for artificially ripening fruit?
23. Which element is diamond made of?
24. Which gas is also known as laughing gas?
25. What is the highest temperature that mercury thermometers can measure?
26. Which metal is used to make the filament of the electric bulb?
27. How many kilometres are there in a light year?
28. At what temperature is the density of water at its maximum?
29. What does the ozone layer protect us from?
30. In which Indian state is the world’s longest sandstone cave located?
Krem Puri in Meghalaya
31. Which Indian airport uses only solar power to run its operations?
Cochin International Airport
32. When is National Farmer’s Day celebrated in India?
33. Who is the youngest person to climb Mount Everest?
34. Which Indian cities are the cleanest according to Swachh Survekshan 2018?
Indore, Bhopal and Chandigarh
35. Who is the current Governor of the Reserve Bank of India?
36. According to the Air Quality Index report released by Central Pollution Control Board in 2018, which is the most polluted city in India?
37. When is the National Girl Child Day celebrated in India?
38. Who is the current chairman of the Central Board Of Secondary Education?
Rakesh Kumar Chaturvedi
39. What day is celebrated as International Day of Charity?
40. Which country is hosting the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019?
41. When were the Commonwealth Games first held?
42. Which tennis player was ranked India's National number 1 by the Women's Tennis Association for a decade (2003-2013)?
43. Who is the first Indian ever to feature among the top 10 women squash players in the world?
Dipika Pallikal Karthik
44. Who is the popular athlete with 12 toes to win a gold medal in the 2018 Asian Games?
45. In which book does the fictional town of ‘Malgudi’ first find a mention?
Swami and Friends
46. During which century did the famous poet Kabir live?
15th century AD
47. Which Indian authors have won the Man Booker Prize?
V S Naipaul, Salman Rushdie, Arundhati Roy, Kiran Desai and Aravind Adiga
48. Who won the inaugural JCB Prize for Literature in 2018?
Benyamin for Jasmine Days (Translated from Malayalam by Shahnaz Habib)
49. Who wrote ‘The Jungle Book’?
50. What is the pen name of Munshi Premchand?
The world of general knowledge is fun and interesting not only for the child but also for adults. So, go ahead, browse the Internet, read books and newspapers and come up with more questions for your child.
Manisha Koirala plunged to the very depths and then, rose up higher. Battling cancer and depressi...
Aarti Kapur Singh
In an exclusive interview, Siddhartha Basu, the father of Indian quizzing, talks about how quizzi...
As a parent, do you often wonder if you can also be a friend to your child? Will doing so change ...