Did you know that a large egg contains only 70 calories and about five grams of fat? Or that an average hen lays more than 300 eggs a year? According to the Egg Nutrition Center, egg protein has just the right mix of essential amino acids needed by humans to build tissues. It is second only to mother’s milk for human nutrition.
Tell your children these and more such interesting facts about this nutrition-packed ingredient, so that you can get them interested in eating it. Or just try our simple yet lip-smacking recipes and they are sure to ask for more.
1. Egg Muffins
These savoury muffins will be an instant hit with the family
Preparation time: 20 mins
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup spinach - roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Salt to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a standard non-stick 6-slot muffin pan and set aside.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add red pepper, green pepper and onion.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- In the last 30 seconds, add in minced garlic. Season with salt and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, crack all the eggs and egg whites and whisk together.
- Stir in cooked veggies. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch and eggs are cooked. Cool slightly and serve.
2. Stuffed Boiled Eggs
An interesting departure from the regular boiled eggs.
Preparation Time: 12 mins
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup diced avocado
- 1 tbsp grated red onion
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- Pinch of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Boil eggs for about eight minutes. Cool slightly and remove the shell.
- Slice eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolks. Mash the yolks.
- Stir avocado, onion, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt into yolks. Divide and stuff into the whites.
3. Eggy Oats Pancake
Here is a healthy twist to the regular omelette or pancake
Preparation Time: 10 mins
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oats
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup mixed chopped vegetables (onion, tomato, capsicum/coriander/green chillies)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mixed dried herbs as needed
- Butter as needed
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and herbs in a bowl. Add the milk and make a batter.
- Add eggs and beat the mixture until lightly frothy.
- Heat a pan with oil, pour the egg mixture.
- Add the veggies evenly. When done on one side, flip it and cook till done.
- Serve hot with or without bread.
4. Moroccan-Style Egg Wrap
A hint of the middle-eastern for a yummy treat
Preparation Time: 10 mins
- 100g soaked and steamed chickpeas, drained
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp olive oil
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 1 leftover whole wheat chapatti
- 2 tbsp flat parsley, chopped
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan, add the oil, spring onion, garlic and chickpeas, cook for one minute, stirring continuously.
- Beat the eggs with seasoning and then add to the pan. Continue to cook for a further 30 seconds, stirring until the eggs are scrambled to your liking. Stir in the harissa paste.
- Spoon the mixture down the centre of the chapatti. Scatter parsley over the mixture.
- Fold in the two ends, then roll up the wrap to enclose the filling.
- Serve sliced in half.
5. No Flour Egg and Nutella Soufflé
This easy-to-make soufflé uses just two ingredients
Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Take Nutella in a small bowl.
- Separate the eggs, mix the yolks with the Nutella and put the egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Whisk the whites until they hold stiff peaks, but not too much. You can add a teaspoon of sugar to help stabilize the whites and prevent over-beating.
- Mix 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the Nutella bowl.
- Add the remaining egg whites into the Nutella and gently fold with a
- spatula until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered, oven-safe mug or ramekin.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
So here you are -- from breakfast to dessert at dinner, everything is taken care of. And the kids will enjoy every bit of it.
About the author:
Written by Priya Kathpal on 12th October 2019.
Join our Circles to share, discuss and learn from fellow parents and experts!
Looking for expert tips and interesting articles on parenting? Subscribe now to our magazine. Connect with us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube