5 Power-Packed Recipes for a Fresh Start to the New Year
If you and your children are feeling sluggish after gorging on the rich and baked goodies during the holiday season, here are some healthy recipes for an energetic start to the year
By Priya Kathpal
We try with all our might to resist the rich and calorie-laden foods that are a norm during the year-end festivities. But, despite our efforts to fight temptation, the holiday season does creep up on us with loads of calories from food that may not be so healthy. This can, in turn, make us a bit sluggish in the beginning of the year. So why not try some recipes that can boost your energy levels, so you can stick to your resolutions for a fresh, new start! Our energy-boosting recipes is just what you and your little ones need --
1. Green Whole Wheat Pasta
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
- 1 ¼ cup cooked spinach
- 3 tsp chopped basil
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients, except for the pasta, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix this sauce with any form of cooked whole wheat pasta. Serve hot.
- Optionally, you can also add sauteed vegetables of your choice. Mushrooms go well with spinach sauce
2. New Way Pancakes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium apple (peeled, cored and sliced lengthwise)
- Combine flour, oats, chopped almonds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, half of the maple syrup, and 2 tbsp of oil in a medium bowl Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Put a griddle or large non-stick skillet on medium heat and brush it with a little oil. Place two slices of apple in the skillet, spacing them about ½ inches apart, and cook until lightly golden or for about one minute.
- Turn over and pour ⅓ cup batter over apples, spreading the batter evenly to cover the apples.
- Cook the pancake until the underside is golden brown and bubbles form on the surface, about three minutes.
- Flip and cook until done, around two minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining apple slices and batter, brushing the griddle with more oil as needed.
- Serve pancakes with yoghurt and remaining maple syrup.
3. Pine ‘Apple’ Juice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups pineapple (cubed)
- 2 large green apples (cubed)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 8-10 mint leaves
- ½ cucumber
- Combine all ingredients in a juicer (preferably cold pressed).
- Serve and consume immediately.
4.Toast with a Twist
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 whole wheat or multi-grain slices of bread
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- In a pan,toss chopped toasted hazelnuts in a little olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread Greek yoghurt over the toasted bread.
- Top with hazelnuts and drizzle with honey.
5. Secret Smoothie
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- Ice as needed
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Add ice according to your preference and blend well.
- Serve immediately
All these recipes are extremely simple and easy to prepare yet pack a punch, so that you get your daily dose of nutrients. Try these with your children and everyone will be asking for a second serving.
The author is a nutritionist and founder at Nutrify.
More For You
More for you
Guilty Pleasures: Confessions Of A Foodie
Eat to live or live to eat? Well, Chef Harish Rao is a self-confessed foodie, who simply cannot s...
Diwali Sweets Recipes: 5 New-Age Sweets fo...
Traditional recipes are the norm every festival. This Diwali, give a contemporary twist to conven...
Priyanka G Mehta
Home Remedies For Stomach Pain In Kids
If your child has a sudden bout of stomach ache and you're not sure what to do, check out these t...