5 Fun Recipes Children Can Make
Kids love playing with food. Now you can give them a chance to do it. Exposing kids to a wide variety of tastes, smells, textures and colours while cooking helps expand their neural network
By Maathangi Iyer
Kids in the kitchen might sound like a disaster waiting to happen. But it can actually be a lot of fun and quite a bit of learning. Exploring with food provides your child with a rich sensory environment. The pouring, mixing, blending and kneading are interesting activities which will get them excited. When parents plan a day to spend cooking with their child, it can also be a great bonding exercise.
Here are five recipes that children can try cooking with your help :
1. Roti Rabdi
Use leftover rotis and transform them with this rich and sweet makeover
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 3 rotis
- 2 Cups milk – ( Adjust according to your taste)
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- Few drops Vanilla extract
- For garnish
- 1/2 sheet silver foil (varak)
- Few pistachios
- Roughly crumble the rotis.
- In a sauce pan heat the milk and let it boil. Simmer for a few minutes and add the crumbled roti to it.
- Cook them till the roti is soaked well and the mixture thickens a bit.
- Add condensed milk and mix well.
- Cook the mixture to a thick consistency.
- Turn off the flame, add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish them with varak and pistachios .
2. Vegetable Pizza
A kid friendly pizza with a pizza crust made from scratch
Preparation time: 2 hours
For the crust --
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups maida
- 1 ½ cup water, warmed to 45 degrees Celsius
- 1 tbs active dry yeast (Take warm water and add sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pizza Seasoning
- Cookie Cutters of different shapes to cut out pizza
For the pizza topping --
- 50 g pizza Sauce
- 50 g mozzarella Cheese
- Chilli Flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup capsicum (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup tomato (cut into a thin round slices)
- Few olives (cut lengthwise)
- Place dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining maida, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a damp towel, and let stand for one hour.
- When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead. Let it rise again rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C. Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Use cookie cutter to make desired shapes.
- Top pizza with pizza sauce
- Sprinkle generous amount of cheese
- Use tomato as eyes and bell pepper as lips. Similarly, kids can make different faces.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
3. Cheesy Mini Muffin
A muffin with loads with cheese and vegetables
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Serves : 4
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups of milk
- ½ cup steamed corn
- ½ cup capsicum, finely chopped
- ½ cup spinach, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves to add to the mix and on top (optional)
- Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Green Chilli and Ginger Paste (Optional)
- Coriander Leaves
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, chop capsicum, spinach. Mix the Coriander leaves and the ginger and green chilli paste.
- Make a well in the flour, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tray and bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
3. A Hearty Tomato Soup
A comfort food you can make any day any time
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Serves : 2
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For The Garnish
- 1/2 cup bread croutons
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, garlic and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cool the mixture completely and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep non-stick pan, add the butter, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with bread croutons and coriander.
5. Oat-Chocolate Date Bar
A quick no-bake energy bar packed with healthy ingredients
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Break dates into small pieces and run it in the mixer till it all comes together forms a dough.
- Toast oats and almonds (176 degrees C) oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a large mixing bowl - set aside.
- Warm honey and almond butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8x8-inch baking dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Press down firmly until uniformly flattened
- Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let firm up in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into 10 even bars (or 9 squares). Store in an airtight container for up to a few days.
Cooking is a great exercise to do with kids and it will create memories that they can pass on to their families.
More For You
More for you
5 Best Pets for Children
Planning to bring home a pet for your child but can’t decide which one would suit your family? Re...
Best Weekend Destinations From Bengaluru Y...
Are your kids bored during the weekends? Take them on quick trips to places that are just a short...
7 Breakfast Ideas Within 7 minutes
It takes seven minutes to whip up these dishes and only five to polish off an entire plate of the...