30 Beautiful Mother’s Day Quotes To Tell Your Mom How Much You Love Her
Celebrate this special day of the most special woman in your life – your mom, with these beautiful Mother’s Day quotes.
By Dr Priscilla J S Selvaraj
Mother’s Day is celebrated every year across the world on the second Sunday of May. This year it falls on 12 May – a special day for that most special person in our lives. What better way to wish mothers than through these beautiful Mother's Day quotes?
Well, when I set out to write this article, I asked myself, “What does the word mother mean?” And, all these words came tumbling out – love, compassion, sacrifice, selfless, integrity, hospitable, patient, devotion, grace, determination, kind, forgiving, simplicity … Because, that’s what my mom means to me and I’m sure your mother to you too.
So, this Mother’s Day, let us express our love and wishes to our mothers through these beautiful quotes. Why don’t you write down these Mother's Day special quotes on post-its and put them up in every nook and corner of your house to surprise your mom and watch her smile and glow? Or, you could even send her one quote every half an hour on WhatsApp or SMS. You may even write these quotes on mugs, ceramic bowls or flower vases and gift them to her. How about getting her a lovely handbag and using pens of different colours, writing down all these quotes on it? Even better, forward the article to her on WhatsApp or Facebook. Let Mother's Day 2019 be extra special for her with these unique Mother's Day wishes.
Inspirational quotes about mother
1. “I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.”
Who said it: Mitch Albom, internationally acclaimed and best-selling author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician, in his book, ‘For One More Day’
2. “A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.”
Who said it: Tenneva Jordan, the author of Mother’s Day Journal Notebook, who became famous for this quote
3. “Mother – that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.”
Who said it: Thomas De Witt Talmage, American preacher and clergyman
4. "Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes, by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world."
Who said it: Kate Douglas Wiggin, American educator and children’s author
5. “The loveliest masterpiece of the heart of God is the heart of a mother.”
Who said it: St Therese of Lisieux, a widely venerated French Catholic nun
6. "A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
Who said it: Washington Irving, 19th century American short-story writer, biographer, historian and diplomat
7. “The love of a mother is the veil of a softer light between the heart and the heavenly Father.”
Who said it: Samuel Taylor Coleridge, 18th century English poet, literary critic, philosopher and theologian
8. “Mothers were meant to love us unconditionally, to understand our moments of stupidity, to reprimand us for lame excuses while yet acknowledging our point of view, to weep over our pain and failures as well as cry at our joy and successes, and to cheer us on despite countless start-overs. Heaven knows, no one else will.”
Who said it: Richelle E Goodrich, American author, novelist and poet
9. "Motherhood: All love begins and ends there."
Who said it: Robert Browning, 19th century English poet and playwright
10. "A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take."
Who said it: Gaspard Mermillod, Swiss Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
11. "God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers."
Who said it: Rudyard Kipling, English novelist, short-story writer, journalist and poet
12. "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
Who said it: Dame Agatha Christie, English detective novel writer, famous for her fictional detectives, Miss Marple and Monsieur Hercule Poirot, in her ‘Hound of Death’
13. "A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's."
Who said it: Diana, Princess of Wales
14. “Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.”
Who said it: Author Unknown (someone who truly knew a mother’s heart)
15. "A mom's hug lasts long after she lets go."
Who said it: Author Unknown (definitely someone who could cherish and feel mama’s hug even when mama wasn’t close-by)
Quotes from celebrities about their mothers
Here are some quotes about their moms by famous personalities:
16. "Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face."
Who said it: George Eliot (aka Mary Ann Evans), 19th century English novelist and poet
17. "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."
Who said it: Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, who was known as ‘Honest Abe’ because of his integrity
18. “My mother once told me that my confidence in myself made her believe in me. I thought that was funny, because it was her confidence in me that strengthened my belief in myself. I didn’t realize it then, but from the very beginning, my parents were helping me build the foundation for my life.”
Who said it: Muhammad Ali, American boxer and philanthropist, in his ‘The Soul of a Butterfly’
19. “My mother was a reader, and she read to us. She read us Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when I was six and my brother was eight; I never forgot it.”
Who said it: Stephen King, American author of supernatural fiction, science fiction, horror and fantasy
20. “Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.”
Who said it: Stevie Wonder, American singer, song-writer and musician
21. “I got to grow up with a mother who taught me to believe in me.”
Who said it: Antonio Villaraigosa, American politician
22. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.”
Who said it: Michael Jordan, American former professional basketball player, who is a two-time Olympic Gold Medal winner
23. “My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart—a heart so large that everybody's joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.”
Who said it: Mark Twain (aka Samuel L Clemens), American writer, publisher, humourist, and author of the famous ‘The Adventures of Tom Sawyer’ and ‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’
24. “My mother is a walking miracle.”
Who said it: Leonardo DiCaprio, American actor and film producer, who played the lead in the movie ‘Titanic’
25. “I was always at peace because of the way my mom treated me.”
Who said it: Martina Hingis, Swiss former world No. 1 tennis player and winner of 25 Grand Slams
26. "My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. I attribute all my success in my life to the moral, intellectual, and physical education I received from her."
Who said it: George Washington, founding Father and the first President of the United States
27. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.”
Who said it: Maya Angelou, American poet and civil rights activist
28. "Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground."
Who said it: Zora Neale Hurston, American author and anthropologist, in her ‘Dust Tracks On A Road’
29. “My mother was the making of me. She was so true and so sure of me, I felt that I had someone to live for - someone I must not disappoint. The memory of my mother will always be a blessing to me.”
Who said it: Thomas Alva Edison, one of the greatest inventors of the world
30. “My mother... she is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.”
Who said it: Jodi Picoult, famous American novelist
To all mothers out there…
May you all be blessed abundantly! Happy Mother’s Day!
"Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.'" (Proverbs 31:28–29, ‘The Bible’)
More For You
More for you
How To Get An Internship In ISRO
Getting an internship at ISRO can fuel your teen’s career in space science and research. We tell ...
Dr Priscilla J S Selvaraj
Movement Milestones for Your One-Year-Old
Want to have an idea about the movement milestones that your child should attain in her first yea...
How to Become a More Organised Parent
Everyone admires an individual who is methodical. But, do you know the secret behind being organi...